Southern Alberta Subies

This is a discussion on Southern Alberta Subies within the Meetings and Events forums, part of the Canada category; Hello Oil Country! I am relatively new to this site as well as having a Subaru. I know there are ...

Southern Alberta Subies

Hello Oil Country!

I am relatively new to this site as well as having a Subaru. I know there are rallies and runs around here somewhere, i just need to find out where and when. The CRC puts on the rocky mountain rally in November but I'm not about to put a roll cage and a bunch of Race decals on and pay $1300.00 to have a little off road fun(ok, a lot of Fun).

I cant believe i am 1.5 Hrs away from the rockies and i cant find anyone else who has the same passion for nice cars and beautiful back country roads through the mountains.

Anyone in the Calgary, Canmore, Exshaw, Crowsnest, Banff, Jasper, Kananaskis, Etc area know anything about some meets or show and shines?

Please don't tell me i have to go to Montana or B.C. to do some fun drives... i mean damn, this isn't Saskatchewan! jk much love Sask, Go Riders!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can't simply run a Rally event without having proper safety gear in place (this includes roll cage). CARS is the sanctioning body for Rally in Canada and they have rules that need to be followed. Rules & Regulations

If you want to have fun without spending money on all of this, simply look for your local motorsport club and see if they run any RallyX events.

You might consider joining the local online club for all of this information.

Welcome to WSC!

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    You can't simply run a Rally event without having proper safety gear in place (this includes roll cage). CARS is the sanctioning body for Rally in Canada and they have rules that need to be followed. Rules & Regulations

If you want to have fun without spending money on all of this, simply look for your local motorsport club and see if they run any RallyX events.
    I know about CARS, and i know about the safety aspect. As per my original post, I did not want to make these additions.
    I've been to the RMR before and i know i would need to invest in a lot more than a roll cage and race belts to even become competitive.

What i was looking for was a local to offer a name of a local club that i may be interested in joining.

Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    You might consider joining the local online club for all of this information.

Welcome to WSC!
    ^This is exactly what i was talking about, Thanks JGardiner.

What I said is, you CANNOT legally run a rally event without that equipment.

You can however run a RallyX event.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    What I said is, you CANNOT legally run a rally event without that equipment.

You can however run a RallyX event.
    Thanks, sorry for the misunderstanding...

In other news, I just so happened to make it just in time to get in to a Rally Cross event called Ice Cup. For anyone in the south end of Alberta the registry is open until tomorrow at 8:00 Pm MST and it will be held at Ghost lake. Rallycross / Ice Cup | Calgary Sports Car Club

Ill post pics when I get back...

Wow, What a day! A friend and I went out on Ghost lake on Sunday and had an amazing time! this was my first RallyX in the new subie and i couldn't have asked her to perform and better(Ok i totally could have).

Best time of the day was posted by a 1994 JDM WRX at 118.XX seconds. Not that i care but if you are curious my best run was 140.750, Not that great but I was one of 4 people who didn't have studded tires. I came in 14th out of 19.

I showed up, Like a keener, at 8 and no one was around. So i decided i would get some test runs down on the ice and make sure i was boned up. We did some doughnuts around some, unannounced to me. Some sleeping Ice fishermen. Well i will tell you i have never seen a fat greasy ice fisherman run so hard and swear so much while we took off to the opposite end of the lake(Where the rally was being held). All the while my friend was re-assuring him(out the passenger window) that we were ok because "We're racing today!"

Ice fisherman: If you are reading this i don't mean to offend but it was F-ing funny.

I got so excited that i didn't take any shots of the race... Idiot... But luckily there were plenty of photographers taking pictures of the run(i don't have any right now as they have not been posted).

The only issue was by the mid afternoon the temp reached around 8șC(above freezing for my U.S. friends) and there were some serious ruts developing in the ice. In fact there was a Early model BMW M3 that went up on 2 wheels after hitting a rut so hard he (for lack of a better term) "Un-Seated" his tires.

I came around a corner to a big(hole) surprise and did a small amount of damage to my front bumper as i bottomed out... Oops... Other than that i had an absolutely awesome time. Everyone was extremely helpful and more than generous(especially with the need of duct tape to hold my skid plate from dragging).

I cant wait to get the pic's up to show everyone my supa subie in action! Anyone in the southern Alberta area, I implore you to come out and have a great time as I did. the best part was that i probably was close to the top as far HP/TQ and class(ASP in AutoX), but i couldn't compete with any of the older cars as too much power is a downfall as well.

The next AutoX/RallyX is posted here --> https://www.google.com/calendar/rend...rue&output=xml

If you are ready and willing to do some Time attack or road races the schedule is posted here(licenses are required) --> Schedule | Calgary Sports Car Club There are license schools for both types of events on the 3-4 of May.

Here is a couple of the cars that attended:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (2).jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	140385

Name:	image (3).jpeg 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	140393

Name:	image (4).jpeg 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	140401

Name:	image (5).jpeg 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	140409

Name:	image (6).jpeg 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	140425

Name:	image.jpeg 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	140433

Name:	photo.JPG 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	140441

Name:	image (1).jpeg 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	140377

Sorry no more pix on my phone, I will get some from my friend who attended as well. fear not more to come!

Cheers,

Curtis,
    Last edited by G0ATLIF3; 03-19-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Attended**