How to make a JDM/EDM headlight PnP harness:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to make a JDM/EDM headlight PnP harness: within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; How to make your own JDM/EDM projector headlight PnP harness: Supplies needed: - (2) 9007 headlight bulbs - I used ...

How to make a JDM/EDM headlight PnP harness (w/ PICS!)

How to make your own JDM/EDM projector headlight PnP harness:

Supplies needed:
    - (2) 9007 headlight bulbs - I used the stockers
    - (2) 9005 male connectors
    - (4 sets) of male/female electrical connectors (spade connectors, bullets, etc)
    - Spool of 18 gauge wire
    - Heat shrink tubing (if you want to use it)
    - 3/8" wire conduit
    - Electrical tape

Tools needed:
    - Needle nose pliers
    - Soldering iron & solder
    - Wire cutters/strippers
    - Dremel tool

STEPS: (the red numbers in parentheses below refer to the numbers in the photos)

- Take one of your old 9007 bulbs and tape up the glass so you don't have to worry about it shattering everywhere. (1)

- Use your Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to remove the little metal supports holding the bulb in place. There are two on each side. (2, 3)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harness-1.JPG  
    Last edited by Fixxxer; 02-09-2005 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

- Once you have all four of the supports removed, gently bend the bulb back. (4)

- Use your Dremel tool or a pair of wire cutters to cut the three wires from the base of the bulb. (5)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harness-2.JPG  
    -Lee

- Once the bulb has been removed, use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the metal ring running around the inside. It will come right out with a few good tugs. (6)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harness-3.JPG  
    -Lee

- Here's where we start with the wiring... Below is a wiring diagram taken from HERE, as well as a basic diagram of how I wired my harness.

- When you're looking into the plug-end of the 9007 connector that you made (with the flat side up), the pin on the left will go to the high beam 9005 connector, the middle pin will need to be split to go to both the high beam 9005 connector and the low beam bulb, and the right pin will go to the low beam bulb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrxwire.jpg   Harness-4.JPG  
    -Lee

- I soldered my wires to the homemade 9007 connector, but I'm sure that some sort of electrical connectors would work fine too.

- Once you're done connecting the wires to the 9007, you may want to use some heat shrink tubing to protect the connections. (7)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harness-5.JPG  
    -Lee

- Cut your wires to the appropriate length. I left mine about 9" long because the pig-tail (wires) that come on the 9005 connector were already that long. I didn't have any problems with the length when installing my headlights.

- Go ahead an add your electrical connectors (spades, bullets, etc) to the two loose wires that will go to the low beam bulb (8). You'll also need to put the connectors' mates on the two (green [+] and black [-]) wires that attach to the H1 low beam bulb on the back of the headlight assembly.

- I'm not sure if it matters, but I connected the +12v wire from the 9007 connector to the right side of the 9005 plug (if you're looking at it from the back with the clip on the top). I then connected the high beam ground from the 9007 to the left side of the 9005. (9)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harness-6.JPG  
    Last edited by Fixxxer; 02-09-2005 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
    -Lee

- Finally, just cover up all of your wires with some 3/8" wire conduit to protect it (10). I cut a little hole in the side of my conduit to pull the two low beam connections through, but it's not necessary. Use some electrical tape to hold the ends of the conduit closed if you wish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harness-7.JPG  
    -Lee

That's it! Just plug 'em in and go!

A few other things worth noting:
    (A few things I found on various sites that came in handy during my installation)

- On the JDM/EDM headlights, the top (white) adjustment screw adjusts the beam pattern left and right. The bottom (white) adjustment screw adjusts the beam pattern up and down.

- To adjust the driver's side headlight up and down, you will make life a lot easier on yourself by removing the front bracket/rod (one nut) that holds down the battery-holder. That will give you just enough room to get a crescent wrench or small socket wrench (7 mm) in there.

- If the previous owner of your projectors had an HID kit installed (like mine), there's a good chance that you're missing the two wires (green and black) that connect to the H1 halogen bulb under the low beam dust cap... If so, then all you need to do is cut two lengths of 18 gauge wire (about 6" long each) and add a female spade connector to the end of each one. The spade connectors will fit perfectly on the back of the H1 bulb and in the little slot where the ground wire connects.
    Last edited by Fixxxer; 02-09-2005 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added "Notes"
    -Lee

awesome!

i did a similar mod with my morrettes. i used butt connectors though. i've had them on for a while now, so the 9007 bulbs seem to hold up for the long haul.

great tutorial.

dR

I found a place to buy both 9007 and 9004 connectors:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Connectors.asp

Nice write up dude! I wish I had that when I installed my JDM's. I just cut and spliced. That would have made for a nicer install.

H1 connectors

I bought 1000 H1 housings, and like 30,000 terminals, 60,000 seals to make this installation look factory - using factory mating connectors.

I've got the same number of 9007 housings and terminals and performance 9005 assemblies, if you're interested.

Bump. This is an excellent write-up. I wish I had this resource when I installed mine. Sadly, mine are spliced and hard wired, but I installed my EDMs like 2 years ago.

Hello

Proper connectors to make it truly plug and play are essential.

I have the parts to do this right, and completely plug and play... no cutting, squishing, hacking, splicing.

The above method is a nice hack, but it's impossible to get the proper terminals for the H1 and put them in a proper weatherproof plug without going through me.....

Bump for an old but useful thread. Any chance we could get the pics back up? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast