driving tips for better gas mileage - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on driving tips for better gas mileage within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by mateusz h2o dude if you want to drive a wrx you had to risk loosing something. ex. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mateusz h2o View Post
    dude if you want to drive a wrx you had to risk loosing something.

ex. gas milage.

It's a dated thread but I still do not accept increased gas mileage as necessary with increased performance. That was OK in the 60s and maybe even in the 90s, but in the 21st century there is no reason we cannot have higher efficiency as well as higher output. Seeing the WRX's fuel consumption actually increase would be terrible, and reason enough to avoid the make.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mateusz h2o View Post
    dude if you want to drive a wrx you had to risk loosing something.

ex. gas milage.
    Hmm....not really true IMHO.

I've knocked on the 30mpg mark with both my 06 wrx and currently with my STI.

It's all in how you drive/maintain the car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I drove exactly 403 miles (all highway) on a single tank of gas a few months ago. Richmond, VA to Greenville, SC nonstop. Yes my warning light was on

30.2 MPG on plugs with 60k miles. just changed the plugs today - and driving 954 miles on thursday! I'll let you guys know my mileage average.
    - 2002 silver WRX (stock)
    - 1999 Honda CBR F4 (Leo Vinci High-mount exhaust, carbon fiber blinkers and other lil crap...)

Unhappy Gas Mileage Tips

Okay so I read all the responses but what are really some good ways to increase the MPGs. I am a new WRX owner (2002) with 102k on it. Only getting 13-14 but live in chicagoland and do way too much short distance driving. Also the car is a automatic. I am ready to do some maintenance to it but would appreciate some tips on what could be done to increase the MPGs. Hoping to get 18 MPG. I personally baby the car and don't drive too hard but I do have a 16 year old that may do that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the info.

Not really sure how similar what I have been learning will be with an older model (I have one of the 08's), or if there will be any changes as I add miles- just hit 1000 last week.

But-

light throttle pressure seems to be MORE important than the rpm I drive at.

My mileage seems the same or slightly better when I upshift around 4k/4500 than when I try to stay out of boost entirely (shifting below 3500.)

Cruising around town at 4000 gets me better results than 3000.

My guess as to why is that when I am in the power more, I need less throttle to accelerate.

Again, as the engine breaks in more thoroughly, this may change somewhat, but if anything I expect it to improve just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WRayX View Post
    my 2005 wrx wagon with 6000 miles is doing 20 to 24 MPG. is think it's a bit low. most of the driving are highway with 45 to 75 MPH.

i'm a new stick shift driver, so there's a lot to learn. can you guys tell me some tips to get better MPG?
    clean out the trunk... loose the extra weight
    also ur sig is long
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Ways to get the best mileage possible:
    1. Change your air filter.
    2. Change your plugs.
    3. Drive with a soft foot. NOTE: You will get the same gas mileage at 40 MPH at 3k RPM in 4th gear or 2k RPM in 5th gear as long as you are light on the gas, so upshifting is not the easy answer. Anybody that says different isn't OCD about numbers like me and hasn't done a lot of totally unnecessary tests like I have.
    4. Use cruise control on the highway. 1-2 MPG increase or more depending on how you drive.
    5. Remove extra weight from the car. Every 100 lbs you remove will give you about 1 mpg extra.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

4. Use cruise control on the highway. 1-2 MPG increase or more depending on how you drive.
    That's assuming the highway is relatively flat. Up steeper inclines cruise control will use more unnecessary boost than if speed was maintained manually. At least that's been my experience. Other than that, good points.

I have an 02 with about 68k miles. Its running stage 2 but I only get about 17MPG and thats even when I drive it lightly. When I say lightly I mean shifting at 3k EVERY SINGLE TIME! Does anybody know what i can do to improve it a little bit? This $3.70/gallon is killing me as a student. Thanks

Develop a slipping clutch. My car hasn't seen boost or higher than 3k rpm in weeks.
    ~Selah

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    1. Change your air filter.
    2. Change your plugs.
    3. Drive with a soft foot. NOTE: You will get the same gas mileage at 40 MPH at 3k RPM in 4th gear or 2k RPM in 5th gear as long as you are light on the gas, so upshifting is not the easy answer. Anybody that says different isn't OCD about numbers like me and hasn't done a lot of totally unnecessary tests like I have.
    5. Remove extra weight from the car. Every 100 lbs you remove will give you about 1 mpg extra.
    so if im at 40mph in 3rd gear and my rpms are like 4k its the same as 3k rpms in 4th gear? or is it only like that in 4th and 5th? how did u find this out anyway hahaha
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.