Changing brake pads on WRX - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Changing brake pads on WRX within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by yo vanilla I've been looking for a good how-to on replacing the 4-pot pads and rotors, and ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
    I've been looking for a good how-to on replacing the 4-pot pads and rotors, and the 2 pot rear pads but haven't found it. Anyone got a link?
    I am looking as well.. I have changed many American disc brakes, but these were very different. In the post, I read a user actually removed a bolt that let the brake fluid out. I am nervous now!

I have an 07 WRX. I am just doing a simple pad/rotor replacement. Anyone know what size bolt is holding the rotor on?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I am looking as well.. I have changed many American disc brakes, but these were very different. In the post, I read a user actually removed a bolt that let the brake fluid out. I am nervous now!

I have an 07 WRX. I am just doing a simple pad/rotor replacement. Anyone know what size bolt is holding the rotor on?
    My 2003 rotors are just held on by the wheel lug nuts (assuming the parking brake is off).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Does anyone know if this tutorial works on a 2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon? Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by druss15 View Post
    Does anyone know if this tutorial works on a 2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon? Thanks!
    Should be very similar if not exactly the same. Check the bolt torque specs, that is the only potentially important difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Should be very similar if not exactly the same. Check the bolt torque specs, that is the only potentially important difference.
    Will do, Thanks mycologist!

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, it does have rear disks right? Drums are a different PITA.

kjb
    Sounds like a lot of people really like the Hawk HPS pads. Are they worth the money? Has anyone had any trouble with them wearing out the rotors? My boyfriend had an issue on his car when he upgraded to ceramic pads that they were harder than the rotors. Maybe not an issue on the WRX? I'm planning to change the pads on my '02 and looking for recommendations on a good balance between price and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    Sounds like a lot of people really like the Hawk HPS pads. Are they worth the money? Has anyone had any trouble with them wearing out the rotors? My boyfriend had an issue on his car when he upgraded to ceramic pads that they were harder than the rotors. Maybe not an issue on the WRX? I'm planning to change the pads on my '02 and looking for recommendations on a good balance between price and longevity.
    I have slotted rotors and the Hawk HPS pads haven't lasted long for me (about 8 months) with no track days, just daily driving. So I think I'm going to use a different pad.

i need to bleed my brakes and swap pads/rotors.

should i bleed them before or after the pad/rotor swap? or does it even matter?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekks View Post
    i need to bleed my brakes and swap pads/rotors.

should i bleed them before or after the pad/rotor swap? or does it even matter?
    Since you are planning both, do fluid after. You need to compress the calipers and this is much easier (and arguably better) if you crack the bleeder. Attach your hose to the nipple (heh) to dump the fluid out of the caliper while you squeeze it shut, then close the bleeder before any air gets in. Then flush the fluid when you are all done with all 4 and it should be an easy job all around as long as you never let the fluid get too low in the reservoir.

These instructions are incredibly helpful. I'm going to change my own brake pads for the first time ever next week. I have some questions about putting the car on jack stands.

Can I put it up on one jack stand at a time? That seems to me like it would twist the car. If I do it two at a time, should it be front then back or passenger then driver. Or do I need to get it up on all 4 jack stands?

Right now, I only have the jack that came with the car. If I use that jack and do more than one jack stand at a time, that will mean jacking it up, getting the jackstand underneath, then moving the jack and jacking up the next wheel. Again, I'm concerned about twisting the car and about whether that would rock the first jack stand.

So how should I go about this? Any advice is welcome. Sorry for being so compulsive, but it's my first time doing this and brakes are serious.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoRex View Post
    These instructions are incredibly helpful. I'm going to change my own brake pads for the first time ever next week. I have some questions about putting the car on jack stands.

Can I put it up on one jack stand at a time? That seems to me like it would twist the car. If I do it two at a time, should it be front then back or passenger then driver. Or do I need to get it up on all 4 jack stands?

Right now, I only have the jack that came with the car. If I use that jack and do more than one jack stand at a time, that will mean jacking it up, getting the jackstand underneath, then moving the jack and jacking up the next wheel. Again, I'm concerned about twisting the car and about whether that would rock the first jack stand.

So how should I go about this? Any advice is welcome. Sorry for being so compulsive, but it's my first time doing this and brakes are serious.

A good floor jack isn't very expensive - I just bought a 4 ton (overkill for the WRX, but not for my wife's van) from Sears for $99. Mine can pick the car up in the center behind the motor. This picks the car up evenly and then I can put the jackstands on the sides without the car tipping.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Either I'm missing it or it's not here but how do I change the front pads on an 06 wrx....No one seems to give a good explanation.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Either I'm missing it or it's not here but how do I change the front pads on an 06 wrx....No one seems to give a good explanation.
    Here's post number 90 in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    If I recall correctly, the STi brake pads are removed/inserted through the side of the caliper, so the install is nothing like this tutorial. There's a video of the process on HSPN
    The WRX 06-07 process is the same as on the STI's.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Here's post number 90 in this thread.

The WRX 06-07 process is the same as on the STI's.

Duh! I should have realized that..ha! Thanks!!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide