Changing brake pads on WRX - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Changing brake pads on WRX within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; This is a great post, very informative. . I have a pending brake job on my '04 JDM WRX. It ...

This is a great post, very informative. . I have a pending brake job on my '04 JDM WRX. It has the regular 4-pot caliper on the front brakes. Can anyone advise me on the procedure to change pads on this vehicle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

will this be the same procedure for the rear brakes because i am having a hell of a time

Quote Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83 View Post
    will this be the same procedure for the rear brakes because i am having a hell of a time
    Yup, same procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83 View Post
    you get it figured out yet? what trouble are/were you having?

-joel
    Street-2000 BRP Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
    Snow-04 Nitro Voltage 158/06 Burton Custom Bindings/04 Vans Fargo Boots
    Photo-Canon 20d and some lenses
    Tech-Apple iBook G4

here is my brake saga: any help appreciated.

i went cheap (1st mistake) on my replacement pads for my 02 wrx. the new pads did not fit inside the metal clips that are on the upper and lower side of where the pads go. i removed the clips, followed this tutorial (which is great btw), and put everything back on with brand new pads, but without those clips. the new pads fit without those clips, not with them. anyway, everything seemed fine until all of a sudden, my brakes make this obnoxious clickity clack whenever i drive. almost sounds like someone is clapping the pad against the rotor. everytime i check, the pads are in place and look fine. anyway, the noise is hideous and i have essentially reinstalled them three times. i am going to give up and i want true, original OEM parts. does anyone know what is happening or where i can get FACTORY pads (and the clips and plates you need)?
    Congressional Lobbyist for the Bugeye Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post

i went cheap (1st mistake) on my replacement pads for my 02 wrx. the new pads did not fit inside the metal clips that are on the upper and lower side of where the pads go. i removed the clips, followed this tutorial (which is great btw), and put everything back on with brand new pads, but without those clips. the new pads fit without those clips, not with them. anyway, everything seemed fine until all of a sudden, my brakes make this obnoxious clickity clack whenever i drive. almost sounds like someone is clapping the pad against the rotor. everytime i check, the pads are in place and look fine. anyway, the noise is hideous and i have essentially reinstalled them three times. i am going to give up and i want true, original OEM parts. does anyone know what is happening or where i can get FACTORY pads (and the clips and plates you need)?
    A couple months late but.... subaru changed the front pad design on the 2002's midway through the year. So depending on your manufacture date (before or after 5/02) you had to get that certain pad. Maybe that's it?

Pace: Thanks for creating this guide. Hope you don't mind but I PDF'd it and formatted it for easier reading.

PDF

break saga continued

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post

I did the same thing to my 02 yesterday. I pretty much ghetto rigged the pads so that I could have one of the clips on the top and i wegded the pad in there after a bit of sanding and cutting with a hack saw. The fit is nice and tight for what it's worth; i tried to replicate the "snugness" of the oem pads.

My car isn't making the same "clacking" noise youre talking about (yet) but it definitely has a annoying squeek when im about to come to a full stop.. I haven't really broken the brakes in yet either (there's 1,000 theories on the correct way to do this...) so I'm hoping the sound will go away.

one thing to note, they gave me a miserable amount of (pink colored)grease stuff for the pads which i did my best to spread evenly between the plastic and the pads(ceramic). I have heard that lack of grease could also cause the squeek-of-death sound.

sorry this was long--anybody have some insight??
    no longer lookn to buy 1 hahaha.. got a sexy blue 02 WRX now!!!
    baby mod list:
    stage 1 flash, 1$ boost gauge pod, K&N filter, forge BOV, "headlight mod" (blacked out bezel), painted stock rims(black), silencer delete, disabled DRLs, Fog light mod, hella horns, sti scoop, sti wing!
    what she said after riding in the rex: "sounds like a bus door opening when you shift"

Hi all.

I followed the guide on the forum and thought i'd share my experience.

I have a my06 wrx (only for 2 weeks now) and it is the first rex i've owned. Anyhoo, to cut a long story short, I need(ed) to change my brake pads as they are pretty worn. Following the guide, I undid the 4 bolts that hold the caliper together on the front, when i got to the fourth, brake fluid started wizzing out from the caliper. I guessed this was wrong, did it back up, found the video for HSPN from this thread which shows a similar but different caliper/brake dismantle procedure compared to mine and got it right. Basically, for the My06, you have one wire pin holding the two metal prongs in which run through the holes in the pad assembly. You remove the wire pin and the prongs slide out. You can then put pressure on the pads/pistons to free the pads and replace as required.

Two things: 1) the pads were the wrong size (if anyone knows the Bendix or similarly priced brand sizing for this model rex, please let me know!)
    2) When I opened up the caliper incorrectly the first time, it let a massive amount of air in to the brake line, basically giving me no brakes when i tested them after putting everything back together. I had to bleed the air out and top up the fluid which had leaked (which the level had not dropped on because the air had replaced the volume of fluid which had leaked out)

So anyway, interesting first experience changing brake pads. Definitely learnt a few lessons!

If anyone can recommend an appropriate fitting pad and retailer in syndey, it would be appreciated!

Edit: Just realised this is a US forum so the whole thing about a retailer in Sydney (AU) might not work too well...
    Last edited by AndyM; 12-03-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Well, I've gone through the brake-changing expereince of both the older 04 models, and the 06 models. I have to tell you, the brake systems are completely different in the 2. The 06 is like you said a double pin holding a tension spring. For my money, I just did the brakes using the "depress the piston" method, which is easier that the "bleed the brake" method.

As for brakes, Hawk makes a good OEM and better-then-OEM for the 06 WRX. While they might not be available in Sydney, you could proably order them online from over a dozen places and have them shipped...
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Truckster27 View Post
    As for brakes, Hawk makes a good OEM and better-then-OEM for the 06 WRX. While they might not be available in Sydney, you could proably order them online from over a dozen places and have them shipped...
    Hi Truckster,

Are you able to help me out with a model number to assist in my search? The distributors i've found in Australia so far are mostly contact by email for information so I'd like to be able to specify a model when I email them.

Thanks for your advice

I can do you one better:

Pads Link

This is the SKU you would use for the WRX. There are 2 types:
    HPS (better then stock, better bite)
    H+ (Crazy bite, maybe a little more then a daily driver not
    drag racing would need)

This is not the best price. But, they price match. Just google these and see if you can find them cheaper, and they will match the price. I know I did, but for the life of me can't find the websites anymore.
    Vf-39 all the way!

Facebook / Myspace

Thanks for your help Truckster. Got the Hawk pads fitted and so far so good

Enjoy! Hope it works out for ya!
    Vf-39 all the way!

Facebook / Myspace

I've been looking for a good how-to on replacing the 4-pot pads and rotors, and the 2 pot rear pads but haven't found it. Anyone got a link?
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!