Changing brake pads on WRX - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Changing brake pads on WRX within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; well, generally, you unbolt the caliper from on one side and loosen the other. then swing the caliper off the ...

well, generally, you unbolt the caliper from on one side and loosen the other.

then swing the caliper off the disc, and you should be able to drop the pads out.

replace pads. (replace clips, shims, grease as necessary)

use some kind of flat object to get levarage on the pistons and push the pads apart.

swing the caliper back onto the disc, re-bolt, tighten.

done.

how you actualy get the pads out might change, but the process is pretty much the same for any disc brake.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thank you blarg
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    thank you blarg
    meh.

you're just jealous.

go eat some chicken.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    well, generally, you unbolt the caliper from on one side and loosen the other.

then swing the caliper off the disc, and you should be able to drop the pads out.

replace pads. (replace clips, shims, grease as necessary)

use some kind of flat object to get levarage on the pistons and push the pads apart.

swing the caliper back onto the disc, re-bolt, tighten.

done.

how you actualy get the pads out might change, but the process is pretty much the same for any disc brake.
    Blarg, the STi calipers don't work this way. You leave the caliper attached, pull some pins out of the sprine of the caliper, slide the pads radiallly outwards (e.g. away from the hub) and then reverse the video. There're totoaly different than the 2.5/WRX brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty
    If I recall correctly, the STi brake pads are removed/inserted through the side of the caliper, so the install is nothing like this tutorial. There's a video of the process on HSPN
    ok I'm wrong. that's what you get for listening to a guy that doesn't even drive a Subaru anymore.

YAY interweb!

I'm going back to OT where I belong.
    Last edited by blarg; 08-09-2006 at 01:06 PM.
    go f*** yourself

So I upgraded my front pads to EBC Redstuffs today with the help of this thread. Thanks! It was easy.

A few things. My pads were about 6 months old, having been recently replaced at the dealer. The passenger side pad didn't have the noise maker on it. Strange. And neither of the front in-board pads had the middle black plate. They just had the pad clipped into the silver plate. Also, the dealer had torqued one of the caliper bolts (14mm one) to like 50 or 60 ft/lbs.

I have an 04 WRX. Do the stock brakes normally not come with the middle black plate on the inboard pads? Or did my dealer just forget to put them on when they changed out the pads? Should I go get these plates and install them?

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    ok I'm wrong. that's what you get for listening to a guy that doesn't even drive a Subaru anymore.

YAY interweb!

I'm going back to OT where I belong.

yea back to the PWNY world with you sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    So if I'm stuck in a rut or something, it's mostly because I made a wrong decision somewhere and I need to correct myself out of it.

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    thank you blarg

he rly knows it all, dayum...
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    So if I'm stuck in a rut or something, it's mostly because I made a wrong decision somewhere and I need to correct myself out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyfilmboy
    So I upgraded my front pads to EBC Redstuffs today with the help of this thread. Thanks! It was easy.

A few things. My pads were about 6 months old, having been recently replaced at the dealer. The passenger side pad didn't have the noise maker on it. Strange. And neither of the front in-board pads had the middle black plate. They just had the pad clipped into the silver plate. Also, the dealer had torqued one of the caliper bolts (14mm one) to like 50 or 60 ft/lbs.

I have an 04 WRX. Do the stock brakes normally not come with the middle black plate on the inboard pads? Or did my dealer just forget to put them on when they changed out the pads? Should I go get these plates and install them?
    Anyone know?

Just used this guide to change my pads to Axxis Ultimates - thank you for the writeup!
    2008 WRB WRX 5MT | Sat/Nav Package | Short Throw Shifter | Sport Grill | Cobb Stage 1
    Gone - 2004 WRB WRX 5MT | Premium Package | Short Throw Shifter | Cobb Catted DP w/ Stage 2 Map | Cobb F/R Swaybars | Toyo Proxes 4

question

Sweet pics and writeup! Question: I'm planning to do all 4 wheels and replace the fluid and rotate the tires. Should I bleed as I go, following the bleeding order on the pad replacement? Or just do the pads, then go back and bleed. Thanks
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

I'm no expert, but I'd probably wait to bleed until the pads are all changed, since you're going to be compressing the pistons as you change the pads, and that is going to force older fluid up into the system.
    2008 WRB WRX 5MT | Sat/Nav Package | Short Throw Shifter | Sport Grill | Cobb Stage 1
    Gone - 2004 WRB WRX 5MT | Premium Package | Short Throw Shifter | Cobb Catted DP w/ Stage 2 Map | Cobb F/R Swaybars | Toyo Proxes 4

I broke one of the 14mm bolts and the end is stuck in the slider pin. I got a new slide pin from the dealership however they did not have any 14mm bolts. I called another dealership and they do not have the 14mm bolt either.

Can I just goto lowes or home depot to find a 14mm bolt of the right length and use it?

Also what kind of grease should I put on the slider pin?

Please help, I cannot drive my car :/

Thank You

I'd go to Pep Boys or Track Auto or similar and see if they have one. I doubt it's some special bolt that only Subaru manufactures. If not those places, check out Sears. Bring an in-tact bolt from the other side of the caliper for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by bjy20716 View Post
    I broke one of the 14mm bolts and the end is stuck in the slider pin. I got a new slide pin from the dealership however they did not have any 14mm bolts. I called another dealership and they do not have the 14mm bolt either.

Can I just goto lowes or home depot to find a 14mm bolt of the right length and use it?

Also what kind of grease should I put on the slider pin?

Please help, I cannot drive my car :/

Thank You
    For a braking system i would go with no less than a grade 8 bolt. Grade 10 if you can find them but nothing less than a grade 8.

(in reference to sti brakes)
    FYI: the '06 wrx oe brakes are the same method of changing as the sti's now.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.