ECU reset
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on ECU reset within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; This is how you effectively reset your ECU, after a major power mod or some sort of boost or fueling ...

ECU reset

This is how you effectively reset your ECU, after a major power mod or some sort of boost or fueling change/increase i.e. an EBC or AFC:

-Unplug the negative terminal from your battery
    -Get in car and pump brake pedal a few times, or until no electrical functions work (tail lights, dashlights, etc)
    -let car sit for 45 minutes
    -reconnect the negative terminal and take the car for a "spirited" drive, coming as close as possible to redline in each gear (BE SAFE!!!)
    -do a cool down drive and make sure you use good gas from then on

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've also heard that the first time you start it up after you unplug the battery, you have to wait until it reaches operating temperature or the fan comes on. Then turn it off. Then on again and go for some spirited driving. It should take effect after ~2 tanks of good gas.

-reconnect the negative terminal and take the car for a "spirited" drive, coming as close as possible to redline in each gear (BE SAFE!!!)

uhh, don't let it warm up?

Of course you let it warm up. Let me rephrase:

Reconnect the battery terminal, drive out of your drive way, let the temperature needle rise to about normal temperature readings, then drive spiritedly.

Come on guys, this is simple...it should go without saying you let your car warm up.

Can I ask what the "letting the car sit for 45 mins" is actually doing for the car? Why would you need to let it sit?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Chance
    Can I ask what the "letting the car sit for 45 mins" is actually doing for the car? Why would you need to let it sit?
    I agree. Hitting the brakes and/or turning on any elec. devices should drain any "stored" energy in the system.

I relayed this information more on heresay rather than experience...we needed a stickied ECU reset thread in tutorial, so I made one up based on what I've read over the last 2 years and the search I did before I wrote it. Everyone says let it sit 45 mins. IF you can do it differently and get desired results, by all means....

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Timdog1650
    I relayed this information more on heresay rather than experience...we needed a stickied ECU reset thread in tutorial, so I made one up based on what I've read over the last 2 years and the search I did before I wrote it. Everyone says let it sit 45 mins. IF you can do it differently and get desired results, by all means....
    Definately good sticky info

Will letting it sit for 45 minutes maybe cycle the battery or some of the computer components in the car?

That would make sense, usually with a computer it's not as long but maybe 45 minutes is being safe.

Just a guess.

I Support ClubWRX
    l have successfully reset the ECU using this method after waiting only 15 minutes. Confirmation by experience.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

will re setting the ECU do anything if your ECU is reflashed?

im tring this now due to the fact i never did it and installed new header and up pipe along with a cat back hope it works well

the new ap does it for you
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    To clarify, since this is a pretty old thread:

An ECU reset does not require a time period to wait after the battery is disconnected. Just disconnect it, tap the brake pedal, and reconnect it. You are done.

For maximum affect, after resetting, get on a open surface with no traffic, place the car in 3rd gear, increase throttle, and slowly let up on the clutch while brake torquing the car (don't let it move). The object is to increase boost for a time frame of around 5 seconds. This will maximise your ECU settings such that you will immediately gain a good 20 HP over the "worn" stock ECU settings. The background is much more complex than this, but this does work.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    To clarify, since this is a pretty old thread:

An ECU reset does not require a time period to wait after the battery is disconnected. Just disconnect it, tap the brake pedal, and reconnect it. You are done.

For maximum affect, after resetting, get on a open surface with no traffic, place the car in 3rd gear, increase throttle, and slowly let up on the clutch while brake torquing the car (don't let it move). The object is to increase boost for a time frame of around 5 seconds. This will maximise your ECU settings such that you will immediately gain a good 20 HP over the "worn" stock ECU settings. The background is much more complex than this, but this does work.
    thanks for the info... i will have to try this now
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.