ECU reset - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on ECU reset within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I think what they meant was that with most newer cars (like 2000 and newer) you can't reset the ecu ...

I think what they meant was that with most newer cars (like 2000 and newer) you can't reset the ecu by just disconnecting the battery but have to hook up a reader or take it to the dealer to have them reset it. I don't know if they're talking about error codes and turning off the check engine light, etc. or just resetting it enough to allow it to "re-learn".

I kind of agree because of past experience. I had a 1998 Dodge Neon and had something happen where the check engine light came on. To reset it, all you had to do was disconnect the battery for a little bit. My dad went and bought a 200 Neon and had the check engine light come on because he didn't tighten the gas cap good enough and tried to reset it by just disconnecting the battery and it didn't work. He had to take it to the dealer and pay to have it reset. The dealer said that with the newer cars, you have to take it to the dealer to get the ecu reset and can no longer do it by just disconnecting the battery.

Is this the same situation with the WRX's (I have a 2004)? Never had the check engine light come on so I don't know. I have had a few times where I had the battery disconnected for a time (recently while changing the spark plugs) and noticed that it drove a lot better afterwords, but thought that was just because of the new plugs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    I have read far more times that if you not only disconnect the bat. but drain the reserve power by pushing the brakes it will reset as opposed to this one post you link.
    This will work, and will erase all the "learned" values in the fuel trims, timing, etc. as well as clear any CEL.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    People also need to understand the check engine light isn't going to magically go away unless the issue is resolved as well.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I am sorry but I have no idea what "non-volatile" means technically in this context. I have read far more times that if you not only disconnect the bat. but drain the reserve power by pushing the brakes it will reset as opposed to this one post you link. However, this is some seriously old school thread and I have personally only used an AP or a cable and romraider myself. I didn't reread the thread but I am guessing they are talking about riding your brakes to get your IAM up after a reflash. Don't do that. You can set where your map resets to in the editor.
    This is assuming you have an editor though. If not, the brake torque method does work...for a short duration. I proved it to myself at the strip. I wouldn't do this on a hot day though.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    You can also just run do a couple of quick WOT runs and the IAM should come up(if nothings wrong). You really don't have to do the "Vishnu trick".
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

if you have a utec with tunes on it and you reset the ecu. it will load the tunes again and adjust for the remainder correct
    2002 WRX--Stage 4
    Tuned by TurboXS

Will resetting the ecu clear CELs?

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    To clarify, since this is a pretty old thread:

An ECU reset does not require a time period to wait after the battery is disconnected. Just disconnect it, tap the brake pedal, and reconnect it. You are done.

For maximum affect, after resetting, get on a open surface with no traffic, place the car in 3rd gear, increase throttle, and slowly let up on the clutch while brake torquing the car (don't let it move). The object is to increase boost for a time frame of around 5 seconds. This will maximise your ECU settings such that you will immediately gain a good 20 HP over the "worn" stock ECU settings. The background is much more complex than this, but this does work.
    Uh, won't this burn up the clutch?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345