Subaru WRX Forum banner

How to change your sparkplugs

366K views 261 replies 97 participants last post by  Teawrecks 
#1 ·
Figured this might be helpful for somebody. First you'll need to properly gap your selected spark plugs- factory calls for .028-.031 gap, yours may vary depnding on model ie iridium or needs. Lots of info out there on choices of plugs- I won't go into any of it here.

You'll need to use some kind of gapping device and you'll want an accurate gap. Here's the tool I use:

#170 ·
Well, just got done doing my plugs on my 2006, and it was a breeze. It was my first time doing plugs on a Subaru, and it took about 2hrs, give or take 15 minutes.
I will say this... it is definitely not worth the 300 bucks Subaru charges for 06-07 plug change!
Seriously, to anyone considering doing their own...it is a simple task!

#173 ·
Spark Plugs

Thanks BIG SKY WRX for the photos on changing of spark plugs.
I followed every step and worked excellent.
I ended up using NGK Iridium BKR6EIX. They are supposed to last a bit longer. Boxer engines are a piece of cake with the right photos.

Next step is for me to change the fuel filter.

#176 ·
Thanks a ton!

Thanks Big Sky WRX!

I responded to the timing belt sticky thread first, but have to give you credit too. (See my post there for all the background and stuff) Bottom line, this is an excellent DIY. THANK YOU! :) It must be perfect if a complete stranger to the 2.0 boxer can change the plugs in a few hours.

Regards,

Andrew
:cool:

#178 ·
Great write up. The swivel spark plug socket and lockable extension should be considered a must a they worked like an OEM purpose built tool a SOA shop manual might specify.

I swapped out the OEM plugs at 40.7k miles and 4.5 years. They all wore evenly with the correct light brown deposits. The gaps were a slightly loose .030" (measured with a feeler gauge) and the center electrodes are still square-ish. Not knowing what the factory gapping was I would guess they were good for another 10k+ miles.

I installed NGK Iridium BKR6EIX snugly gapped at .028" using a feeler gauge. Based on the OEM wear, these will likely be the only set of plugs I will install in the WRX.

#182 ·
Great write up and very informative. For the most part the process is the same for the 2.5L's on the 06+ WRX's. I just did mine this last weekend and everything on the passenger's side was the same with the intake and everything.

The driver's side is similar except the washer bottle isn't there anymore to get in the way of the coilpack closest to the driver. In it's place is a black air pump. To take it out you have to remove 3 bolts, an electric connector, and a hose. I'd highly recommend taking this out as it's nearly impossible to get to the last spark plug with it in.

#183 · (Edited)
My very nice mechanic didn't want to change my plugs because of everything that had to be removed. I guess i know what I'm doing this weekend. Granted my 4 banger Camry and S2k were a snap to swap plugs but not every car is like that.

03/08/09 - Weekend over and I finished my Plugs. Pretty easy, I was kinda nervous with the ECU AM resetting but I found a pretty empty piece of highway in NYC to get it done.

Oops- forgot one thing....

Thank you Big S.

#185 ·
yup- I found a high quality logo download online (too long ago to say where)- played around w/ it to get the right size, made a cutout (same size as the intake) using some pretty stiff stock- about the thickness of a file folder, used a high temp paint- it was there to stay :)

G
#186 ·
That's great! I'm going to try to look around online to see if I can find that logo... then figure out how to print it that big and do it up right! Will any high temp spray paint work? I can't imagine you'll hurt the intercooler at all, right?

#193 ·
Signs of bad plugs

I'm *guessing* this is the problem, or at least a logical first step - So as nervous as I am, I will attempt to do these steps this weekend, laptop in hand.

I have the stock plugs and just tipped 80k miles and I'm noticing that now and again she takes a few extra seconds to turn over. I haven't notice much rpm bobbing around, except for the occasional idle dip. But I don't want it to be a bigger problem, so plugs it is, I guess. Is this a probable cause of my problem do you think?

I'm hoping it doesn't take TOO long...I don't think my apartment complex likes people working on their cars in the parking lot, but I don't have any other choice (other than a mechanic).

I have a stock 04 that gets paid off in October, btw. At that point I'm hoping to put some work into it. Though I'm not REAL sure where to start.

Thanks!

Rick

#199 ·
Did mine a few months back...followed this very tutorial. I found it to be fairly easy, once I got a small breaker bar that would fit in to get out the back driver's side plug. You spend most of the time just moving stuff out of the way to get access.

#204 ·
Don't take offense..people found it humorous because you're asking for directions in a thread that has, well, the directions. :)

Simply go to page one of this thread..Big Sky has a great writeup.

#207 · (Edited)
A thanks to the OP for making this thread. I plan on using the NGK plats tomorrow. 144k on my 02WRX and a P0171 code. No record of past maintenance.

As a side note, after changing plugs xx number of times in EJ25s, I use a spark plug socket with the rubber inside, and a 5" extension. My trick is using a thin layer of electrical tape to keep the socket on the extension together when you pull it out after putting the new plug in. Just enough tape so it keeps the two pieces together and not too much that it doesn't fit in the spark plug hole. These two pieces give me just enough room to get a socket wrench in there, as well as my torque wrench for the 15ftlbs for all 4 holes.

Also another side note, when you take the bolts out for the windshield washer fluid reservoir, be sure to use anti-seize on them when you put them back in. I can't found how many of my old cars are running around with just one of those two bolts left holding the reservoir on. Same deal for the two bolts that hold the front air duct to the radiator frame.

Ryan