How to change your sparkplugs - Page 4
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on How to change your sparkplugs within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; When I took my car in for servicing once, they told me that they dont replace the spark plugs, they ...

When I took my car in for servicing once, they told me that they dont replace the spark plugs, they just clean them. What's the story with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotbas
    When I took my car in for servicing once, they told me that they dont replace the spark plugs, they just clean them. What's the story with this?
    What mileage? I believe the maintainence schedule calls for 60,000 mile change on the oe plugs. If it was your 60,000 mile service- I'd go back and point it out- the schedule should be in the back of the owner's manual.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

It was around 30,000 miles... I guess that's why. So they should be replaced at 60k... Maybe I'll get up the courage to do it myself when the time comes... I hate paying the ripoff dealership to do maintenance, but doing it myself does scare me!

don't be scared - its really easy if you have any experience with a ratchet. just take your time and if you have any concerns, analyze the situation before you do anything
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Just did mine. It was fairly simple and straight forward. Just take your time, and double check everyting before you reassemble. The small bolts holding on the coil packs were as much a pain in the a@@ as anything else. It is really tight in there though and it helps to have small hands, and the right tools. Even as anal as I am about things, it was easily done in just over an hour.

stock gap

So if the stock gap range is .028-.031, My question is what exactly should I gap the plugs if i am using the stock platinum ngk's. should I go on the low end(.028) or more towards .031? As of right now my engine is stock.
    sam scull

I Support ClubWRX
    split the difference- .029 or .030

Thanks!!!!

Wow, I'm glad I read Big Sky's thread first, without it I would've had a hard time. Thanks!!!
    Dave (aka Scuba Steve)

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad it helped

Loose plugs?

Thanks for the instructions, it wasn't that bad. One question, if I didn't tighten the plugs enough, what symptoms should I look for? The car seems to run only slightly rough, but much improved with the new plugs/ air cleaner. Since I couldn't get a torque wrench in there, I was more worried about over-tightening. Yes, I'm green. But I'm learning a lot from you guys and trying simple stuff like this first. So, thanks again.
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

Loose plugs?

Thanks for the instructions, it wasn't that bad. One question, if I didn't tighten the plugs enough, what symptoms should I look for? The car seems to run only slightly rough, but much improved with the new plugs/ air cleaner. Since I couldn't get a torque wrench in there, I was more worried about over-tightening. Yes, I'm green. But I'm learning a lot from you guys and trying simple stuff like this first. So, thanks again.
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

If I was to put the Platinum NGK plugs and my wrx is stock. How often should you replace the plugs?

How many miles?

Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    The manual shows 60,000 miles on the oe platinum ones- I like to check at 15,000 and if OK replace at 30,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    The manual shows 60,000 miles on the oe platinum ones- I like to check at 15,000 and if OK replace at 30,000.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Since I am about to purchase a 04 WRX w/ 35K miles. What all do I need to make sure or see if the dealer has done as for all-a-round maintance work?

So far I am going to ask if these were done:

*PVC value been replaced.
    *Fuel filter replaced.
    *TB and air element been clean or replaced.

Any others w/ these kind of miles?

Thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Try this thread- it has a link for the scheduled maintainence- the 30,000 one should have been done.

Service Manual excerpt: Periodic Maintenance