How to change your sparkplugs - Page 3
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on How to change your sparkplugs within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; thanks for the input guys... im stayin platinum, but will swap em out from now on @ 20k. I am ...

thanks for the input guys... im stayin platinum, but will swap em out from now on @ 20k. I am staying on stock turbo, and will be pushing no more than 15psi...

Ive heard denso plugs are the best.. but my Dad's been using NGK in every car and truck, that hes ever owned... and they never seem to be down on power.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    thanks for the input guys... im stayin platinum, but will swap em out from now on @ 20k. I am staying on stock turbo, and will be pushing no more than 15psi...

Ive heard denso plugs are the best.. but my Dad's been using NGK in every car and truck, that hes ever owned... and they never seem to be down on power.
    Densos are good, I used them on my Accord. I wouldn't recommend them for the WRX though as I have heard they break apart. Stick with the NGK's and you can't go wrong.

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    A lot of guys are changing copper plugs at 3,000 miles. I tend to change things quite a bit earlier than most of the reccomended intervals- rotate tires every oil change, oil change at 3000 miles, swap tranny/diff fluid at 12,000, fuel filter 24,000, bleed brakes several times a year, change coolant every year, etc- then again my car is driven more spiritedly than most.
    how much does a fuel filter cost and were exactly is it on a wrx?
    Thanks,

dennis

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 1wrx4u2c
    Thanks,

dennis
    I use purolators:

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...Type=4&PTSet=B

~$30

Sits right next to your washer bottle

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingg...colorchart.htm

heres a good link on spark plug colors

Originally posted by 1wrx4u2c
    Thanks,

dennis
    I think I ordered a Subaru filter for $22. The web site doesn't say if it's a genuine Subaru filter.

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/wrx-drivetrain.html
    Thanks,
    Ali

replacing the boxer engine spark plugs are...

f..king pain in the ass...I just spent nearly 3 hrs chaning them. Not to mention my back is hurting like hell....will change them again after 30k miles. I put Platinum plugs to ensure long life as well as convenience(not chaning them too often). Anyway as usually thanks for the info.

WRXGOoooo

by the way, WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DO NOT SCREW THE PLUGS TIGHT ENOUGH? thanks

WRXGOooo

Originally posted by WRXGO
    by the way, WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DO NOT SCREW THE PLUGS TIGHT ENOUGH? thanks

WRXGOooo
    They could get loose and eventually fall out, or you could lose compression in the cylinder.
    Thanks,
    Ali

^^ this happened to me in my 3rd gen t/a; the #7 plug is a real pain to do. i thought i had it tight but one day driving down the highway i heard a pop and then thump thump thump. i actually thought it threw a rod or something, no smoke or anything and since it was my beater car i just kept on driving . later i found the plug had come out and welded itsself to the firewall. i got it in real good after that
    '03 wrx sedan | '03 Mazda 6
    always take the road less traveled

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Reinstall all the pieces you have removed. Hooking up the battery last.

Check your spark plugs for unusual color- lot's of good sites explaining the different colors and conditions.

You have effectively reset your ECU by disconnecting your battery, which means the Advanced Multiplier (AM) is set back to 8, you want it to get to 16. You can do this quicly by gently driving (no boost) until you have a place you can get into 3rd gear- accelaerate slowly, left foot braking (puts load on) keep boost at ~ 2-3 psi for ~ 20-30 secs and it should be there. Ofcourse if you have a Delta Dash, you can tell for sure.

Happy driving.

Big Sky
    Great help you are awesome!!!!!!
    Could you explain more about the advance multiplier, what does it do, what if all of the drive in 3rd for 20 -30 secs is not done will it go back to 16?

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FBIWoppRX
    Great help you are awesome!!!!!!
    Could you explain more about the advance multiplier, what does it do, what if all of the drive in 3rd for 20 -30 secs is not done will it go back to 16?
    It can go either way- always at 8 on a reset- if happy higher- all the way to 16 (the highest)- if unhappy down (to 1 if extremely unhappy).

Here's a pretty good thread on the subject:

Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

as usual u are right on top of it....thanks so much!

THIS IS THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the one where i read you should use the flex sockets. it was such a PAIN IN THE ASS with those (btw i see i posted here above under my old username, allan r )

here's a better method: instead of using the dreaded flex sockets/adaptors, just place the socket on the bolt for the coil packs, connect the ratchet, and turn away. for the spark plug, attach your spark plug socket to a 3" extension, line it up on the plug and you will have just enough room to connect the ratchet. the whole job was DONE in 1/2 hour.

07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla
    THIS IS THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the one where i read you should use the flex sockets. it was such a PAIN IN THE ASS with those (btw i see i posted here above under my old username, allan r )

here's a better method: instead of using the dreaded flex sockets/adaptors, just place the socket on the bolt for the coil packs, connect the ratchet, and turn away. for the spark plug, attach your spark plug socket to a 3" extension, line it up on the plug and you will have just enough room to connect the ratchet. the whole job was DONE in 1/2 hour.

yeah, i did mine too but it took me 1/2 hour to figure out how to do it without flex sockets, but i must say it was pretty easy. Was done with it in 1 1/2 hour and i was doing it for the first time. The damn intake box is harder to asemle together than to change the spark plugs
    But i must say this write up helped me a great deal. Thanx guys
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY