How to change your sparkplugs - Page 17
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to change your sparkplugs within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; yup- should apply...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yup- should apply
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    yup- should apply
    Thanks.

And thank you for being a godsend on this. Did you note that difference in length between the packs for the cylinders towards the front vs the rear?
    Leave later, drive faster, still get there first.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't recall the length difference- was it very noticeable?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I don't recall the length difference- was it very noticeable?
    Couple MM between the front and back, they also were black in the rear (towards firewall) and grey up front. Kinda odd, but works.
    Leave later, drive faster, still get there first.

Great tutorial.

After studying your photos, I put NGK Iridium plugs in my '03 wagon today. It took me about 45 minutes not including cleaning up my tools and arms.

I didn't use swivels, at all. I did use a 3/8 air rachet to unbolt the coils and to remove the plugs.
    Last edited by SunnyDaze; 06-14-2012 at 12:18 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Having done this recently it occurred to me that a flex head ratchet is always something handy, however there are several on the market and their price and ostensibly their quality varies dramatically.

So, I took the opportunity to compare the least expensive in the US market that I could find with one of the more expensive from the same market.

The thicker, shorter ratchet with the extra fold in the handle is made by "Pittsburg." As the name implies, this is an inexpensive ratchet made in... China and available at Harbor Freight for $12 or so. The thinner ratchet with the solid longer handle is made by "Snap-On." Depending on model, the Snap-On can cost 20X the price of the Pittsburg. It is US made and very high quality.

Bottom line: the Pittsburg isn't bad! In fact it's a bargain and I use it a lot. Smooth motion, plenty of angles, plenty of ratchet clicks. Is it a Snap-On or a Bahco? No. It'll work OK for spark plugs and a dozen other jobs anyway. Your choice!

Just FYI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342327167.581958.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	106853
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-14-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ good tip

I've always gone somewhere in between (Harbor Freight and Snap-On)- mainly Craftsman, I've had the opportunity to use their warranty a couple of time and haven't had too many complaints on their tools. I do have a few speciality HF tools in my collection that have worked just fine

I Support ClubWRX
    SD I have a few flex head ratchets from various years from Snap on and the amount of teeth has dramatically changed in the last 8 years I think from 40 something to over 80. Also I hate to say this being a snap on fan but my Matco ratchets are leaps and bounds above my snap ons.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    I think Matco makes great tools.

The flex head is handy even if there is ample room for a straight ratchet anyway. Once a fastener is loose, the flex head can be bent back 90' and the entire ratchet spun quickly to remove the loose fastener in less time, in a continuous circular motion. Easier to do than explain.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    FWIW, I have an assortment of Matco, Mac, Snap-on, Craftsman and Pittsburg/HF tools. I have had to warranty everything but the Mac (don't own that many, haven't broke one), and by far the easiest to warranty are the Pittsburg/HF.

Last time I took a wrench and screwdriver into Sears (Craftsman), the girl (yes girl) behind the counter gave me the third degree about how a stripped screw driver head and snapped open end wrench (clearly casting defect) were "abuse".

The calculated manner in which our conversation took place led me to realize that Sears spends lots of money training their employees in the tool department on how to deny claims first. In the end after a frustrating 15 min and after I filled out a host of forms and she typed away at the keyboard, I got my new tools.

By contrast Harbor Freight is very lax on their policy. I strolled in with a broken breaker bar, showed the lady at the counter when I walked in; she said "Grab a new one." I did and walked up to her, she had me sign my name and phone number and I was on my way. Total time 5 min.

Obviously their are some items at HF that are horrendous quality, but most of their hand tool stuff isn't bad. I actually think the Pittsburg ratchets are higher quality than the Craftsman ones as I despise the square Craftsman handle. Really?! A Square handle on a ratchet? Really?!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Hello guys I'm working on a 2004 WRX spark plug Install, here is my problem...I removed
    both plugs on the drivers side and re-Installed the new plugs and Intalled the coil packs...
    but now I forgot which coil plug wire goes where, (I know, rookie mistake). I would have
    normally did one at a time (I was rushing to get everything reassembled so I can p/u the
    kids from school) and did not take a pic. or paid close attention to the coil pack wiring
    harness,etc.

I believe that the white plug/connector goes to the front (towards the front bumper)
    plug/coil pack correct (one one with the longer wire) ?

Thanks.

OK, found out that I was correct...It is the white plug/connector that goes up front (towards
    the front bumper) for the coil pack on both the driver and passenger side.

Boy what a PITA it is to change both the sparks plugs and the front O2 sensor on the WRX !

Next will be the fuel filter, another PITA job for the WRX...then finally a few performance
    mods like a brake upgrade kit, BOV with a adjustable boost controller and lastly a cat-back
    exaust to go with the Installed Hi Fow air filter...

Well the spark plugs are done, they'll be easier for you next time.

The are you referring to the EGT sensor in the up pipe, or the oxygen sensor on the down pipe?

The fuel filter is actually relatively simple. Use spray lubricant on the hoses, be gentle, and use a twisting motion. Use no tools other than hose pliers if you have access to them. You absolutely do not want to put an aftermarket atmospheric blowoff valve on your car. I won't bother explaining why as a search on this or any other forum will yield all of the information you could ever want on the topic.

A cat back exhaust is not a bad idea for sound, however, it won't yield a significant power gain. Also, be cautious as to which high-flow air filter you put on the car. This is another topic where research will yield great information as to how different types of filters and intakes perform on stock and modified WRX's.
    This is my first Subaru, but it isn't my last.

first off, thanks big sky for a great write up! now the question. did my plugs today, WAY easier than my old car(fighting headers sux) however, the ngk's they sold me were irriduims but they were the -11's. So i already know im pulling plugs but for regaping form 40 to 30 or swapping to the regular non-11 ngk irridium. btw, plugs were never changed on my car( at 134000....grrrrr) ill post pics tomarrow. something from a horror show. car runs like a monster now, smooth idle and wicked pull even with easy*save gas till payday and resetting ecm at the same time* driving.

i heard the guys over at nasioc arguing about the different plug types. (disagreeing?)

edit: it was easy to do the job with all your help and pics. i just didnt know the difference on the plugs till i started reading All the posts. now r confuzzeled
    Last edited by tirerob; 12-08-2012 at 09:02 PM.