How to change your sparkplugs - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to change your sparkplugs within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Thanks WRXers! Replaced the spark plugs today with very little problems. Just a reminder, you have to take out four ...

Newbie to the Subie maintenance!

Thanks WRXers! Replaced the spark plugs today with very little problems. Just a reminder, you have to take out four plugs if you want to put four in. We got so excited when we saw the passenger side and how much easier and experienced we were after doing the drivers side. We....er....I forget to take the passenger side rear plug out and could figure out why in the H the new one wouldn't go in! It only took about 20mins and me asking, "Let me take a look at all four plugs.", and then another 5 minutes looking for the D thing!

Also replaced the front pads before the snow flies!

Thanks again....and yes...you call all laugh now!

(BTW this was my first attempt at any engine maintenance on a Subaru....I must say...It wasn't that bad....this forum makes it easy!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you think using and ngk iridium plug heat range 9 is too cold a plug to use on a wrx that has full 3 inch exhaust, 3 inch down pipe, upgraded up pipe, boost controller at low boost 11psi and high boost 17psi with water injection only using water. Also what plug gap should I put them at in mms since my plug gap tool is in mms.lol.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    might be better asked in the engine forum, I can change plugs but no expert on what the best ones are for specific applications
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Vez
    I've read that if you are 100HP over stock (at the crank), you should go 1-step colder. Otherwise, you should stay in the stock heat range.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Next we'll remove the airbox. We'll disconnect the hose connecting the airbox to the turbo inlet hose. Then we'll disconnect the connector to the MAF sensor (see pic). Then we'll remove the upper half of the air filter w/ the filter.

helo~

wana to ask you, in your picture it have cap right?what is that?is it same like cap for radiator?? thanks

No, the airbox does NOT have a cap similar to the radiator. The airbox is the large black box on the passenger side of the car which contains the air filter. It can be removed by unplugging the MAF sensor, removing the 2 vacuum lines off the top and then removing the hose clamps off the elbow piece. This would be a good time to change your airfilter.

FYI, the black vessel with the radiator cap is a coolant overflow tank - it is NOT required to remove this to change the spark plugs.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Thank you so much for the post. I just replaced my spark plugs today. First time i've ever done spark plugs. Didn't even know where the darn things were till I saw this. Thanks!!

I Support ClubWRX
    glad it helped and welcome aboard!

once i got the feel of the spark plugs on the spark plug socket it was easy, i did make the hole in the rubber part of the spark plug socket slightly bigger as it kept coming off when I would try to remove the socket when the spark plug was secure.

write up made it easy, thanks for saving me at least $150 in labor

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ glad it helped

WOW, great information.

Registered User fordtruck76_390's Avatar
    Just changed my Plugs over the weekend using this guide and everything went smooth. It actually went a lot quicker than I thought that it would. this is a great write-up and came in very handy. thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Was under the car over the weekend (unrelated but I looked for plug strategies). Not much to be gained at all by trying to do the plugs from below. It's as if the bay tightens on the lower side. The two rear plugs are not IMO easy from below, they are easier from up top.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    glad it helped

^ agreed- I looked under as well

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this throughout this thread as there are a ton of pages to look through, but mine is a stock '05 does this explanation to change the plugs apply to my year model?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.