How to change your sparkplugs - Page 15
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to change your sparkplugs within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I bought a 2002 wrx in june and have been noticing some problems with a backfire. I used this forum ...

I bought a 2002 wrx in june and have been noticing some problems with a backfire. I used this forum and it took me about 2 hours from start to finish to change my spark plugs. I found that the plugs in there were copper not platinum and there was practically no gap on them. I called a few places in town and the cheapest shop was going to charge me $180 if I brought in my own plugs. This was an awesome help and I am hoping to find an easy write up to help me install some coilovers next week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    it's pretty common for folks to go to a copper plug (the oe ones being platinum) they just need changed more often- of course improper gap is not a good deal

I think any of the spring change tutorials will be of great help (same procedure- struts need removed/re-installed)

also worth looking at my alignment sticky in the suspension forum (you'll want a good alignment after the install)

welcome aboard!
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I am going to be attempting this tomorrow evening, wish me luck!

Hopefully I have all the necessary tools this time...

Awesome write up and details... I laughed in the mechanics face when he told me it was $250 to change the spark plugs and 2.5 hours labour...

About 2 hours it took me and 3 beers

Cheers for the write up!!!

Same situation...they want 350$ for 3 hours work...
    I'll do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by johny_rolly View Post
    Awesome write up and details... I laughed in the mechanics face when he told me it was $250 to change the spark plugs and 2.5 hours labour...

About 2 hours it took me and 3 beers

Cheers for the write up!!!

Just installed mine yesterday. Its actually the first time I've installed plugs on my car. Till now its always been handled by a shop during larger periodic maintenance.

Everything was going fine until the last plug (of course), passenger side rear. It was very, very difficult to remove the plug. The whole time I was freaking out because at times it was getting harder to unscrew the thing. I thought, damn, it was cross threaded when last installed! Finally got the plug out and thankfully it wasn't cross threaded, just corrosion on the threads. New plug went back in easily with anti-seize on the threads. I was really stressed. Visions of an engine removal and new heads were dancing in my head.

And yeah, by lower back is killing me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    And yeah, by lower back is killing me now!
    congrats on finishing the install and being devirginized! having a lowered car definitely is rough on the back. It's very gratifying to accomplish something on your own for the first time no matter how big or small the job.

less than 5 years ago, i was afraid to change my brakes on my lifted xterra. less than 3 years later I'm swapping a transmission in my wrx

enjoy and take you're time when you're working on the car. pay no attention to how long it takes everyone else.
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

Car stalled after installing new plugs.

Thanks to Big Sky and all for the help. I installed 4 new stock platinum plugs with not problems. My car seemed to be running better all day unitl I started out on I-35 to drive home. I drove for about an hour at 60-75mph but suddenly I stalled after hitting 80 or so. I pulled over on the side of the highway and the car wouldn't restart at first. After several attempts to restart I let the car sit for about 10 mins and it started right up. I haven't had this problem again since it happened yesterday.

Anyone have any thoughts why this would happen?

Thanks.

Not sure

When you pull the rear coil pack out on drivers side should it come out without bending the tube on the pack. To close to frame without it.

Great write up. I didn't have any problems with the change at all, other than just "breaking" the plugs free. Didn't have to remove the battery on my 05 WRX wagon, so that was pretty awesome. Probably took me a few minutes extra getting that plug out, but I hate disconnecting the battery. Anyway, thanks, you saved me a ton of money.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon - 3" TBE w/ SPT Catback, Cobb Stage 2 91 Octane map...

Issues...

I am having similar troubles to colden877 on this. Swapped the stock ones out after 65k to NGK iridiums. Double checked to make sure everything was plugged back in and attached correctly. Went to start it and it runs for about a second or 2 before dying....
    Any thoughts or ideas? I may just take it all apart again and cross my fingers. This is on a Saabaru 9-2x aero 2005

Coil pack removal

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    With everything out of the way, we'll first remove the coil packs. I undo the connectors to each coil pack first:
    Sorry I'm so late to the game. Is there any reason why the connectors have to be removed? Is it possible to remove the bolt holding in the coil pack and pull it out, carefully?

This looks like a great post and I am going to perform this maintenance myself this weekend.

Thanks Team!

Quote Originally Posted by SubieMonte View Post
    Sorry I'm so late to the game. Is there any reason why the connectors have to be removed? Is it possible to remove the bolt holding in the coil pack and pull it out, carefully?

This looks like a great post and I am going to perform this maintenance myself this weekend.

Thanks Team!

To keep things tidy, Subaru didn't leave very much slack in the coil pack connectors. So even if you wanted to leave it connected, you wouldn't have much room to get to the plug

Happy wrenching!
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    To keep things tidy, Subaru didn't leave very much slack in the coil pack connectors. So even if you wanted to leave it connected, you wouldn't have much room to get to the plug

Happy wrenching!
    I was about to say the same thing. You're going to just unplug them once you see there's no way for you to really get to the plug with them sitting there. It takes an extra ten seconds to unplug and then plug them back in when you're done.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon - 3" TBE w/ SPT Catback, Cobb Stage 2 91 Octane map...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    exactly on both accounts- the coil packs have to come off
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.