How to change your sparkplugs - Page 13
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to change your sparkplugs within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Great write up! It helped me a lot since im coming off a 97 jeep Cherokee that had an inline ...

Registered User r0kems0kemrobot's Avatar
    Great write up! It helped me a lot since im coming off a 97 jeep Cherokee that had an inline 6 where the plugs were all easily accessible lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Great write up and very informative. For the most part the process is the same for the 2.5L's on the 06+ WRX's. I just did mine this last weekend and everything on the passenger's side was the same with the intake and everything.

The driver's side is similar except the washer bottle isn't there anymore to get in the way of the coilpack closest to the driver. In it's place is a black air pump. To take it out you have to remove 3 bolts, an electric connector, and a hose. I'd highly recommend taking this out as it's nearly impossible to get to the last spark plug with it in.
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

My very nice mechanic didn't want to change my plugs because of everything that had to be removed. I guess i know what I'm doing this weekend. Granted my 4 banger Camry and S2k were a snap to swap plugs but not every car is like that.

03/08/09 - Weekend over and I finished my Plugs. Pretty easy, I was kinda nervous with the ECU AM resetting but I found a pretty empty piece of highway in NYC to get it done.

Oops- forgot one thing....

Thank you Big S.
    Last edited by NYCS2; 03-08-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    04 wrx wagon D/D
    02 S2K Summer Fun (sold)

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Remove the battery and plastic holder. Move the washer bottle out of the way:
    I know this is all kinds of ancient...but how did you get the WRX logo on the intercooler? I love it! Brilliant idea! Where did you get the WRX decal thing? I'm guessing you can just get a cutout and then spray paint the logo on the intercooler?

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yup- I found a high quality logo download online (too long ago to say where)- played around w/ it to get the right size, made a cutout (same size as the intake) using some pretty stiff stock- about the thickness of a file folder, used a high temp paint- it was there to stay
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Wrinklechops
    yup- I found a high quality logo download online (too long ago to say where)- played around w/ it to get the right size, made a cutout (same size as the intake) using some pretty stiff stock- about the thickness of a file folder, used a high temp paint- it was there to stay
    That's great! I'm going to try to look around online to see if I can find that logo... then figure out how to print it that big and do it up right! Will any high temp spray paint work? I can't imagine you'll hurt the intercooler at all, right?

I Support ClubWRX
    any high temp paint should be fine

the oe STi intercooler logo is painted on as well just don't go hog wild w/ the paint- doesn't take much

Wrinklechops
    any high temp paint should be fine

the oe STi intercooler logo is painted on as well just don't go hog wild w/ the paint- doesn't take much
    Sweetness. I thought about doing the WRX logo but couldn't find it anywhere, and then I saw that you did it and thought it was pretty cool so I'll keep searching.

I Support ClubWRX
    see if this one is any good

Download logo from Best Brands of the World

Wrinklechops
    That works! Thanks man

2002 wrx plug change after dinner fun

Big Sky, Thanks!!! plugs changed with little problem, I found a Craftsman socket fit easier then a SK, I just hope I reset ECU
    Thanks a lot

I Support ClubWRX
    your welcome and a welcome to clubwrx

Signs of bad plugs

I'm *guessing* this is the problem, or at least a logical first step - So as nervous as I am, I will attempt to do these steps this weekend, laptop in hand.

I have the stock plugs and just tipped 80k miles and I'm noticing that now and again she takes a few extra seconds to turn over. I haven't notice much rpm bobbing around, except for the occasional idle dip. But I don't want it to be a bigger problem, so plugs it is, I guess. Is this a probable cause of my problem do you think?

I'm hoping it doesn't take TOO long...I don't think my apartment complex likes people working on their cars in the parking lot, but I don't have any other choice (other than a mechanic).

I have a stock 04 that gets paid off in October, btw. At that point I'm hoping to put some work into it. Though I'm not REAL sure where to start.

Thanks!

Rick

I was thinking about doing my plugs hear soon. An help or advice would be great.
    Blobeye Syndicate #004

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by jcfuzzdog29 View Post
    I was thinking about doing my plugs hear soon. An help or advice would be great.
    What state of tune are you in? I think that makes the biggest difference in plug selection. Otherwise, just get the OEM plugs or whatever the Denso/NGk iridiums are...