How to change your sparkplugs - Page 12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to change your sparkplugs within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX we're hoping the pics come back up soon, here's one on scoobymmods (you have ...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    we're hoping the pics come back up soon, here's one on scoobymmods (you have to register to see the pics)
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately the pictures on scoobymods aren't of help like those observable on this forum.

On scoobymods I seen that on service manual there are the instruction for the plugs, anybody own this manual? and anybody can scan this page for me and send on my email?

Or anybody have the old pictures observable on this forum?

The reason because i'm concerned is that i living in mountains, far from a mechanic, and it's better if i change the plugs without do other road.

I'm grateful for your help.

Bye

By Regulus

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So I changed the plugs on the 02 rex for the first time today. I of course briefly glanced at the tutorial which did help quite a bit and began. After 35 mins of straight work I was finished. I did not need flex sockets either a regular spark plug socket and a 3 inch extension were all I needed. I do how ever have a few questions.

First all of the plugs had a reddish color at the very ends on the arm above the electrode is this normal or at least nothing to worry about?

Also I'm not sure if the plugs in there were the original plugs that came in the car, but on the inside were the current goes from the electrode to the arm the inner part of the arm is worn down on one side. Now if these are the original plugs they have 89,000 miles on them would that kind of wear on them be because of this?

Other than that a simple job that I actually enjoyed and did in the parking lot out front of my apartment!!!
    Cobb 2, megan header and up-pipe, catless turbo xs rfl tbe, and other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
    nope im talking about the airpump. its on the drivers side by the bottom corner of the battery.
    I figured it was some kind of exhaust pump as well.

Any pics guys for an 06-07, or any help/tutorials?
    I want to make sure, that is all you have to move, compared to a 02.
    Jon
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

a friend told me you can just do the drivers side plugs from underneath the car, you dont even have to remove the battery! so thats what im going to do

Well, just got done doing my plugs on my 2006, and it was a breeze. It was my first time doing plugs on a Subaru, and it took about 2hrs, give or take 15 minutes.
    I will say this... it is definitely not worth the 300 bucks Subaru charges for 06-07 plug change!
    Seriously, to anyone considering doing their own...it is a simple task!
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

sweet man! did you use any dielectric grease? im wondering if we need to use any since with have coilpacks and not rubber spark plug boots

Quote Originally Posted by Khayman_13 View Post
    First all of the plugs had a reddish color at the very ends on the arm above the electrode is this normal or at least nothing to worry about?
    have you ever ran octane bootser in the car? this is what causes that. its not good for the plugs and not really for the engine either. my engine builder and i had a long disscusion over this and he told me that about the plugs because i ran octane booster in the MR2... untill i talked to him andchanged the plugs

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

Spark Plugs

Thanks BIG SKY WRX for the photos on changing of spark plugs.
    I followed every step and worked excellent.
    I ended up using NGK Iridium BKR6EIX. They are supposed to last a bit longer. Boxer engines are a piece of cake with the right photos.

Next step is for me to change the fuel filter.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    glad it helped. your right w/ the right guidance the Impreza is a very easy car to work on- I think this was purposely engineered in- think rally
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
    a friend told me you can just do the drivers side plugs from underneath the car, you dont even have to remove the battery! so thats what im going to do
    Must be a true motorhead...any excuse to jack the car up an shimmy underneath

Thumbs up Thanks a ton!

Thanks Big Sky WRX!

I responded to the timing belt sticky thread first, but have to give you credit too. (See my post there for all the background and stuff) Bottom line, this is an excellent DIY. THANK YOU! It must be perfect if a complete stranger to the 2.0 boxer can change the plugs in a few hours.

Regards,

Andrew

I Support ClubWRX
    good deal and welcome aboard!

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Great write up. The swivel spark plug socket and lockable extension should be considered a must a they worked like an OEM purpose built tool a SOA shop manual might specify.

I swapped out the OEM plugs at 40.7k miles and 4.5 years. They all wore evenly with the correct light brown deposits. The gaps were a slightly loose .030" (measured with a feeler gauge) and the center electrodes are still square-ish. Not knowing what the factory gapping was I would guess they were good for another 10k+ miles.

I installed NGK Iridium BKR6EIX snugly gapped at .028" using a feeler gauge. Based on the OEM wear, these will likely be the only set of plugs I will install in the WRX.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Great write up. The swivel spark plug socket and lockable extension should be considered a must a they worked like an OEM purpose built tool a SOA shop manual might specify.
    thanks- they work well for me, I've found many, many other uses for them too

Quote Originally Posted by Khayman_13 View Post
    So I changed the plugs on the 02 rex for the first time today. I of course briefly glanced at the tutorial which did help quite a bit and began. After 35 mins of straight work I was finished. I did not need flex sockets either a regular spark plug socket and a 3 inch extension were all I needed.

Other than that a simple job that I actually enjoyed and did in the parking lot out front of my apartment!!!
    35 minutes, and no flex socket. WOW, 1 1/2 hrs for me and without the flex socket I don't believe I could have done it at all, without jacking engine up 1/2" or moving the brake lines on the drivers side... Great write-up with good pics, helped a lot.
    Last edited by wrxdrvr; 07-29-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.