How to change your sparkplugs - Page 11
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to change your sparkplugs within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; BTW, my plugs were a beautiful golden tan. I have no idea if they are original. The car has 58,000 ...

BTW, my plugs were a beautiful golden tan. I have no idea if they are original. The car has 58,000 miles.

2011 VW GTI - K04

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
    THIS IS THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the one where i read you should use the flex sockets. it was such a PAIN IN THE ASS with those (btw i see i posted here above under my old username, allan r )

here's a better method: instead of using the dreaded flex sockets/adaptors, just place the socket on the bolt for the coil packs, connect the ratchet, and turn away. for the spark plug, attach your spark plug socket to a 3" extension, line it up on the plug and you will have just enough room to connect the ratchet. the whole job was DONE in 1/2 hour.

That's what I did.

PLAC: I just changed my plugs tonight and they looked JUST like that. 66,000 miles and original. I took them to my brother-in-law who is a master mechanic and he said they looked normally worn with no red flag indicators.
    Last edited by pondo; 02-04-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: more info
    - 2002 silver WRX (stock)
    - 1999 Honda CBR F4 (Leo Vinci High-mount exhaust, carbon fiber blinkers and other lil crap...)

yeh right

so god dammned i hate the spark plugs on this wagon now.. normally it takes me no long er than maybe 1/2 hr to and hr to do plugs.. but my 04 wagon took me almost 4hrs! thanks to the peekabo no seem em holes and hard to get into areas... not to mention it's freezing cold out but runs like a charm now gotta love platinum.. it's a girls best friend

haha dammit

so yeah not even a week from when i did my plugs now my car is dying at low rpms and the voltmeter and turbo meter are flying all over the place.. so i pulled it all apart again last night to make sure i forget to connect something or anything was loose.. but nope... so now i had to have it towed to subaru cuz it kept dying at any rpm lower than 3000... any suggestions to why this happened or maybe just a coinsidence to when i did the plugs...

Is it just me or are the pictures gone? I'm due for a change, but I could really use some pictures.
    Thanks,
    Ali

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see them either, having someone take a look and see what's up- a tutorial missing pics is not a good thing
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

how much of a pita is it for a spark plug change on newer wrx? ive done many plugs in the past but never on a wrx. will i have to remove the air pump and all that crap on the drivers side?

wat air pump are you talking about. unless ur car is uro!!!!!!!!
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

im guesing ur talking about the turbo, and ur a right sided driver..... no you dont have to remove the turbo, just the airbox to get it out of the way and the battery
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

nope im talking about the airpump. its on the drivers side by the bottom corner of the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
    nope im talking about the airpump. its on the drivers side by the bottom corner of the battery.
    i dont really know wat ur talking about, air pump,? maybe ac compressor pump, power steering pump, wat would the wrx need a airpump....

oooohhhhhh r you talking about the window washing resevoire!!!!!!!! that pump in there

No there is an air pump that pumps exhaust gas into the intake on 06 and up WRX's. This air pump is how they eliminated the up-pipe cat. The air pump recycles exhaust air until the main cats come up to operating temperature. This takes longer since they are farther from the engine.

So yes he is referring to an actual air pump. Its very visible on the 06+ cars.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Hi! I must change the sparkplugs on my Wrx 02, i visit this page some days ago and I see the pictures that show the procedure! But now these pictures are disappear... anybody can help me??

Bye from Italy!

By Regulus

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    we're hoping the pics come back up soon, here's one on scoobymmods (you have to register to see the pics)

Spark Plug Change - EJ20 - ScoobyMods
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman