Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Instructions

57K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Lukega6 
#1 ·
#4 ·
quick question:

Is this that OPTIONAL micro-air filter you can buy or is this the standrad air filter. The dealer told me there is already one air filter in there. The optional micro air filter is a 2nd filter in series with this standard filter. Is that correct? :confused:

#5 ·
Do I have a problem?

I bought a replacement air filter, followed the instructions on the above link (for my 2004, there were 9 screws, no 7), however, when I took off the filter cover, I was shocked to see no filter whatsoever!! :confused:
I have never touched this part of my car before and does this mean I haven't had any filter in there for the last 65k miles??

#6 ·
Not unusual as I do not think they are factory installed, it is a dealer installed item. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I mentioned the filter when I first bought my WRX new in 3/2004 - it was not factory installed then. My dealer was kind enough to install one for free and I have replaced them yearly since then.

#7 ·
Thanks so much for the info. I did a bit of reading after posting and have realized this is the case, it's not factory installed.
After seeing pictures of dirty ones, I can't imagine what I've been breathing all these years!! Well I have one now, so I suppose I'm safe....

#10 ·
air filter

i just went to autozone and they informed me that my car (03 wrx) does not have one. i laughed and went to kroger and bought a air filter for my house, cut it into 4 nice squares and sprayed some cologne on one and put it in... perfect.

#16 ·
i just went to autozone and they informed me that my car (03 wrx) does not have one. i laughed and went to kroger and bought a air filter for my house, cut it into 4 nice squares and sprayed some cologne on one and put it in... perfect.
I realize I'm quoting something from two years ago, but eh.

I tried the home air filter method in my current car, it doesn't work very well because the soft cotton they make the home filters out of degrade quickly when large peaces of debris hit them. Which is a common occurrence with automobile filters. The paper filters that should be used are much better, albeit more expensive.

All 02-07 Impreza's take the same filter weather it "came with one" or not.

#18 ·
Hepa Filter?

Anyone know where I can get a "Hepa" cabin filter for a 09 WRX? I called my stealership and they said they have a carbon filter that works as good as a Hepa filter for $40. Not sure if he's blowing smoke or what. I've been doing some searching online and haven't had any luck finding a Hepa filter. I have really bad allergies and the stocker isn't quite enough.

#19 ·
... at http://www.airfilterusa.com. You can "build your own" Astrosorb carbon air filter with their online tool. My '05 WRX cabin air filter is 8.25 X 7.25 X 1.1875 in.; your filter size may be different. AirFilterUSA will sell you six custom carbon filters for $124.15 with free shipping. That might do you for a year or two.
Wow! That's awesome! I can use some of there stuff in my house as well. Thanks for the info!

#20 ·
I removed the filter from my 2009 WRX. I didn’t expect it to be so dirty with only 15,000 miles.

First I blew all the dirt and debris out.

Then I took it to the bath tub and sprayed bleach on it and let it set.

After 5 minutes I washed all the junk out. Then I took a really small flat head screw driver and lightly scraped the remaining junk out and repeated the bleach process.

It now looks new.

I believe it was made to be washed.

#23 · (Edited)
#22 · (Edited)
$10.50 is great.

Advanced Auto wanted around $30.00.

I don't know what the Subaru dealer wants but I would not pay over $20.00 unless it couldn't have been washed and made 99.9% new again.

Also for those that say don’t worry about it. Well the filter can get clogged and the flow of air really is diminished.

If you could see how dirty mine was after only 15,000 miles you would wash or change it and washing it didn't cost me a dime.

#25 ·
Hello,

I have a 1999 subaru Impreza and am in the need of instructions how to access the cabin filter. I have removed the glove box and there is not access there. Some say there is an 2 screw cover under the glove. THere is something that looks like but there are no screws and looks like a snap out, in fact looks sold with the whole heating unit.

I am certain th can not be this difficult to have the cabin filter replaced!

After taking the glove box out, I seen a 2inch white plactic with wires to it, unscrewed it and looks like a 2 square inch metal piece like a sensor. Trought ther I can see the filter, and it is pisitioned verticaly in the foward directions. Looks like it would kust slide out down to the floor (if it had a opening for it). I doubt that I will need to dismental the whole black portion of the sustem to get to the cain filter. Anyone knows how to do it?

#28 ·
Sorry about bumping an old thread.

I used a Wix filter on my 2002 WRX. It has a non chemical treatment called Bioshield 75 which prevents the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew and yeast. I was going to go with an activated carbon filter before I learned of the Wix filter. I got mine from Amazon for $18.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.