Cabin Air Filter Replacement Instructions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Cabin Air Filter Replacement Instructions within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by chpanther69 i just went to autozone and they informed me that my car (03 wrx) does not ...

Quote Originally Posted by chpanther69 View Post
    i just went to autozone and they informed me that my car (03 wrx) does not have one. i laughed and went to kroger and bought a air filter for my house, cut it into 4 nice squares and sprayed some cologne on one and put it in... perfect.
    I realize I'm quoting something from two years ago, but eh.

I tried the home air filter method in my current car, it doesn't work very well because the soft cotton they make the home filters out of degrade quickly when large peaces of debris hit them. Which is a common occurrence with automobile filters. The paper filters that should be used are much better, albeit more expensive.

All 02-07 Impreza's take the same filter weather it "came with one" or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Guess I need to be more explicit in sharing the facts...

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    How insightful....idiot.
    Really, I'm the idiot? I bet you drink bottled water and think you're spending your money wisely because it's "purer."
    Top 6 Myths: About Bottled Water

Do you wear a filter over your face when you walk outside? If not, why do think you need to spend significant amounts of money to install and regularly replace the filter in your car?

Yes, if you intake unfiltered external air through the grill you will suck in some really nasty air that contains toxic gases and particles from the area just above the road where exhaust pipes spout. But if you set your system to recycle, you are breathing the very same air that came from out front of your own house when you got in the car. Also, opening your windows is shown to significantly improve air quality because the highest concentration of toxic gases is right at exhaust pipe height, which is unfortunately nearly the same as intake grill height.

Finally, these filters effectively remove particles, but they are unable to do anything about the toxic pollutant gases which are very harmful. It is a false sense of security to waste your money on filters.

For certain individuals with medical conditions that make them highly sensitive to irritant particles, a HEPA filter used in conjunction with the recycle option on the system is your best bet. But for normal individuals, you might as well burn your money.

Hepa Filter?

Anyone know where I can get a "Hepa" cabin filter for a 09 WRX? I called my stealership and they said they have a carbon filter that works as good as a Hepa filter for $40. Not sure if he's blowing smoke or what. I've been doing some searching online and haven't had any luck finding a Hepa filter. I have really bad allergies and the stocker isn't quite enough.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI

Quote Originally Posted by cocZamudio View Post
    ... at http://www.airfilterusa.com. You can "build your own" Astrosorb carbon air filter with their online tool. My '05 WRX cabin air filter is 8.25 X 7.25 X 1.1875 in.; your filter size may be different. AirFilterUSA will sell you six custom carbon filters for $124.15 with free shipping. That might do you for a year or two.
    Wow! That's awesome! I can use some of there stuff in my house as well. Thanks for the info!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI

I removed the filter from my 2009 WRX. I didnít expect it to be so dirty with only 15,000 miles.

First I blew all the dirt and debris out.

Then I took it to the bath tub and sprayed bleach on it and let it set.

After 5 minutes I washed all the junk out. Then I took a really small flat head screw driver and lightly scraped the remaining junk out and repeated the bleach process.

It now looks new.

I believe it was made to be washed.

Registered User Tattooed11Bravo's Avatar
    As far as buying the filter. I just went to checkers and told then what I needed and they ordered it. It was $10.50 and came in in 2 days

$10.50 is great.

Advanced Auto wanted around $30.00.

I don't know what the Subaru dealer wants but I would not pay over $20.00 unless it couldn't have been washed and made 99.9% new again.

Also for those that say don’t worry about it. Well the filter can get clogged and the flow of air really is diminished.

If you could see how dirty mine was after only 15,000 miles you would wash or change it and washing it didn't cost me a dime.
    Last edited by kronos; 07-17-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed11Bravo View Post
    As far as buying the filter. I just went to checkers and told then what I needed and they ordered it. It was $10.50 and came in in 2 days
    Any chance that you have the part/stock number for that thing? I did a brief search on their site (It is o'reilly here in SoCal now).

----------UPDATE found the filter. Here is the link in case anyone needs it. For 2003 WRX

MicroGard - Cabin Air Filter
    Part Number: 3695
    Line: MGD

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2700&ppt=C0023
    Last edited by R7MR7M; 09-15-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: UPDATE*** Found it...

Registered User Tattooed11Bravo's Avatar
    I just went in and said I need a cabin filter for a 05 Wrx. They gave me the different types they had and unlocked the eat cheap one.

Hello,

I have a 1999 subaru Impreza and am in the need of instructions how to access the cabin filter. I have removed the glove box and there is not access there. Some say there is an 2 screw cover under the glove. THere is something that looks like but there are no screws and looks like a snap out, in fact looks sold with the whole heating unit.

I am certain th can not be this difficult to have the cabin filter replaced!

After taking the glove box out, I seen a 2inch white plactic with wires to it, unscrewed it and looks like a 2 square inch metal piece like a sensor. Trought ther I can see the filter, and it is pisitioned verticaly in the foward directions. Looks like it would kust slide out down to the floor (if it had a opening for it). I doubt that I will need to dismental the whole black portion of the sustem to get to the cain filter. Anyone knows how to do it?

Here is the filter replacement procedure for the 98-02 Forester. It should be the same for the 99 Impreza.
    http://www.scoobymods.com/air-filtra...156.html?t=156

just called my dealer here in AZ and said it was 30 for a new filter

Sorry about bumping an old thread.

I used a Wix filter on my 2002 WRX. It has a non chemical treatment called Bioshield 75 which prevents the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew and yeast. I was going to go with an activated carbon filter before I learned of the Wix filter. I got mine from Amazon for $18.

How to change the cabin air filter in a 2008-2012 Subaru Impreza / WRX / STI - YouTube

This video was extremely helpful for me. 2008+ models no screws need to be taken out. Just move the plastic and pull te glove box down basically.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12