Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; hey guys. im getting my gates belt kit including tensioner and idlers tomorrow. I took my 05 wrx apart today ...

hey guys. im getting my gates belt kit including tensioner and idlers tomorrow. I took my 05 wrx apart today to get ready for the belt/ water pump swap tomorrow and i noticed that when i line up the crank timing marks all of the other cams match up perfectly with there marks except for the passenger side exhaust cam. the 2 marks on the top of it are off to the left about 1/4''. looks like its 1 tooth off. should i leave it there when i do the belt or line it up with the other marks in the diagrams? my car only has 74k miles on it. im just doing the belt b/c it looks like one of the guides has moved and made a weird wear mark in the middle of the belt. it runs fine and doesnt make any valve noise. thanks alot

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thank You!

This is an excellent guide; best I've ever found in a forum! Thanks!

Angry

have anyone timed a 93 subau outback before

Did your water pump leak at all after installed? I noticed you didn't use any RTV or any gasket sealant, and i was just curious if any should be installed or suggested? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squibel View Post
    Did your water pump leak at all after installed? I noticed you didn't use any RTV or any gasket sealant, and i was just curious if any should be installed or suggested? Thanks
    I didn't use any and haven't had any problems.

Good luck and welcome to the club!
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Thanks for te help.
    On step 7 (removing the crankshaft bolt) i used a wrench and locked it on the frame and started the car. The car starter did all the work for me!

I Support ClubWRX
    That was going to be my plan B, but plan A ended up working no problem - I put the car in gear, had a friend step on the brakes, and the bolt came right off with a short breaker bar.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ugh, ill be staring at this in about 15,000 miles, so about 1.2 years away and still dreading it.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Very helpful Thred took me just under 6 hours due to having to run to the store a few times, and busting up a few knuckles it went very well. 137,000 miles and the TB looked almost untouched. All the marks were gone but it was still in very good shape, but still am happy that i replaced all of the pulleys and water pump. Here's to another 100,000. Thanks again.

When spinning the cam gears to adjust timing marks, does the top cam gear on the drivers side spin clock-wise and the bottom spin couter-clockwise and vice-versa on the passenger side?
    Last edited by infiniteboost; 04-07-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Stage 2 Bugeye
    | (226whp/222wtq) @ 16 PSI |

Enkei PF01 17x7.5 BF 235/45/17

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniteboost View Post
    When spinning the cam gears to adjust timing marks, does the top cam gear on the drivers side spin clock-wise and the bottom spin couter-clockwise
    For left side (driver's side in the contiguous US):
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

and vice-versa on the passenger side?
    On the right (passenger US) side, there was no spring tension from the valvetrain so the cams stayed very nearly in place, and I could move them left/right at least a few teeth at will. I have always only moved a single cam at a time, never two at once.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So I'll only be moving the bottom right gear? And turn it counter-clockwise?
    Stage 2 Bugeye

I Support ClubWRX
    So I'll only be moving the bottom right gear? And turn it counter-clockwise?
    Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.

When I am turning the cam gear to line up the timing marks I need to turn the gear clock-wise or counter-clockwise.
    I don't wanna end up turning the gear the wrong way and having the valves hit.
    I don't understand the picture cause it shows two examples of the gears both rotating in opposite directions.
    Stage 2 Bugeye

I Support ClubWRX
    When I am turning the cam gear to line up the timing marks I need to turn the gear clock-wise or counter-clockwise.
    I don't wanna end up turning the gear the wrong way and having the valves hit.
    I don't understand the picture cause it shows two examples of the gears both rotating in opposite directions.
    I can't answer responsibly because you are not specifying which timing gear, on which part of the motor, and when. Also, what picture? Where?

You will start aligning the marks on the passenger (USA) side of the motor, on the intake (top) timing gear. That is described in post 21 in this thread:

You will then proceed to the driver (USA) exhaust (bottom) timing gear. The driver side gears can each only be rotated one way. The exhaust gear can only be rotated counterclockwise. The intake gear can only be rotated clockwise. This is described in post 22 in this thread:

In the picture labeled S2M1231A, do ONLY what is shown in the bottom pane. DO NOT DO what is shown in the top pane with the X through it. Also, DO NOT move both gears at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.