Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Might as well do the kit right? Timing belt Tensioner Upper and Lower Idlers Do you guys recommend any manufacturers? ...

Might as well do the kit right?
    Timing belt
    Tensioner
    Upper and Lower Idlers

Do you guys recommend any manufacturers?

Seems like the only upgrade you could get is a racing timing belt from Greddy or another mfg.

Also once your doing this you might as well do the water pump, but anything else? I figure if it can be done in a days work and I'll be dropping around $280-400 I would want to do the other misc like a/c belt, thermostat, alternator belt but I'm sure thats another $75-100. a $500 DIY investment for the recommended 75-100k timing service sound right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smurff311 View Post
    Might as well do the kit right?
    Timing belt
    Tensioner
    Upper and Lower Idlers

Do you guys recommend any manufacturers?

Seems like the only upgrade you could get is a racing timing belt from Greddy or another mfg.

Also once your doing this you might as well do the water pump, but anything else? I figure if it can be done in a days work and I'll be dropping around $280-400 I would want to do the other misc like a/c belt, thermostat, alternator belt but I'm sure thats another $75-100. a $500 DIY investment for the recommended 75-100k timing service sound right?
    The a/c and alternator belts are pretty easy to get to so I wouldn't bother with them unless they are due. Definitely do the thermostat and everything else.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

Fyi

Thanks for this thread... it's good real-world info as I do my TB change. Just a few "notes" others might find useful:

- If you're changing the tensioners, pay close attention to the bolt for the "small" tensioner. There is apparently an "old" style and "new" style. The new style needs a longer bolt. My kit didn't come with the longer bolt... I didn't realize it until I stripped out part of the threads that the original bolt is WAY too short.

- My car has 145kms (90k miles) on it; at least one tensioner needed to be replaced. I bought a complete kit, so I did them all. I'm sure the engine will be a lot quieter as at least one had significant play and on another the bearing is starting to make noise. I was debating doing just the belt vs. an entire kit. Looking back, I'm very glad I opted to do everything.

- Good thing I did this now instead of waiting for 160kms. The TB has significant cracking on the back and is well worn; I don't think it would have lasted much longer!

Vince

Timing Belt on my '02 wagon autoslushbox

So I successfully completed this task on my '02 wagon with an auto tranny. Thank you so much for the instructions, they were invaluable. A couple of comments with regards to others with an auto doing this task. The auto tranny has a cooler that is apparently built into the radiator, so you'll want to skip the "remove the radiator" step. There is plenty of room to take care of the timing belt and water pump with the radiator still in the car. Along the same line, there is a (I think it's a) heat shield at the bottom of the fans that the fans are attached to, I ended up removing the shield (held on by four screws) as well as the fans. Easy to remove, easy to put back in during reassembly.

Also, don't know if it's this way on all autos or what, but my car did not have the timing belt guides. I've attached photos of what it looked like when I removed the timing belt cover. I can see the threaded holes for the crank shaft guide, but there don't even appear to be holes for the cam guides. I bought the car with less than 5K miles, so it's unlikely that somebody was in there and forgot to reattach them.

I am happy to say that, even with 120K miles, the timing belt still looked to be in very good condition, no cracks or anything. Still glad I changed it, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image907.jpg   Image908.jpg   Image909.jpg  

Questions after reading this:

Step #9 : how do you rotate the engine? Will it just spin freely? Do I have to be in neutral?

Step #26 : How is this step performed? I understand how a feeling gauge works, but am not sure what the timing belt guides look like yet nor what to measure clearance on.

Thanks!

Step #9 : how do you rotate the engine? Will it just spin freely? Do I have to be in neutral?

Follow the instructions. Reinstall the crankshaft pulley and turn it to rotate the engine. And yes, it must be in neutral unless you're Heman and can move the car forwards and back by turning the crankshaft pulley.

Step #26 : How is this step performed? I understand how a feeling gauge works, but am not sure what the timing belt guides look like yet nor what to measure clearance on.

It's simple when you see it. Just make sure the belt can move freely when you spin it.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any other questions.
    Last edited by section9; 05-05-2010 at 10:36 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by section9 View Post

Follow the instructions. Reinstall the crankshaft pulley and turn it to rotate the engine. And yes, it must be in neutral unless you're Heman and can move the car forwards and back by turning the crankshaft pulley.

Line up the timing marks. The belt will have white lines on them that correspond to lines on the engine. No need for feeler gauges, it's timing, not spacing.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any other questions.
    Wouldn't you just use a ratchet on the timing belt pully bolt to turn the engine? Thats what I usually do.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Ok so I have a question too. I'm @ 75k with a leaking waterpump. Since the timing belt has to come off to replace the pump I'm doing it early. How important are the toothed idlers, especially since I'm changing them out 30k early? Anyone have an experience with the Gates "Superstrong" timing belts? I've read they also make the Greddy belts and i can get one for the same price as an OEM unit.

great write up i was able to succesfully replace my timing belt today,however ive got bigger problems bad tick coming from the side that was off timing,im gonna have to pull it apart

Doesn't sound good. Your piston is hitting the valves likely. How did it get off timing?

Quote Originally Posted by section9 View Post
    Doesn't sound good. Your piston is hitting the valves likely. How did it get off timing?
    the car was in an accident,only 1 cam was off though the other 3 were dead on

This tutorial is great.. followed step by step.. and so far so good.. water pump went out.. caused timing belt to melt which caused failure.. hope this is all I needed...
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle-
    "When it hurts to much to look back, and you're to afraid to look ahead. Just look beside you and you'll find me there."
    -Unknown-

Unhappy timming belt replacement

How hard is it to replace the timming belt on a 04 wrx impreza?

Dealer parts or another source of supply for all the parts?

First of all, what a great thread. Power to the DIYers. I'm looking forward to this project once my wrists heal from carpal tunnel surgery. It should feel good to become one with my car in a Zen sort of way. Can words really describe how you'll feel when that last pully is tightened and you run your hands along that taunt belt. (Not to mention all the money saved, better spent on quality beer and clothles for the kids)

I bought my stuff from the dealer. Welcome to the club.

Edit: Heh, I just noticed your '05 join date despite your post count...

T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast