Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Look at post 26. Push where the arrows show and I use a small metal ruler. That's the way I ...

Look at post 26. Push where the arrows show and I use a small metal ruler. That's the way I do it. It looks like you're supposed to push or pull with a certain amount of force, but I just wing it. It seems to work fine. The whole process is actually pretty easy. Just take your time and go step by step.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Thread stuck! Nice write-up
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Thumbs up

Great write-up! Lots of helpful tips! I used it successfully this weekend. Thanks!

A couple of things I can contribute:

1. Inspect the Hydraulic Belt Tensioner as you are taking things apart. Mine was leaking fluid from the seal and needed to be replaced. Another $115. I think this is fairly common. You might just purchase it beforehand and then return it later if you don't need it. That way you don't end up running to the dealership in the middle of the operation like I did.

2. As I worked the belt onto the gears going counter-clockwise from the crank (this technique seemed to work really well), I re-installed the belt guides as I went. I figured they would help keep the damn belt from jumping teeth after I got it on a gear where I wanted it. Worked great as far as I can tell.

Thanks again Section9, T.J.
    Last edited by T.J.; 11-21-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

pics?

Exactly what I was looking for, except the pics seem to have been obliterated... Anyone know what happened?

Nice write up, tho!

Awesome write up....Just finished mine minutes ago....T-Belt, Water Pump, Idlers, and Tensioner...went ahead and changed the oil and the plugs while I was at it. 102K on the girl and another 100K to go!!

Thumbs up Mad props!

Thanks Section9!

I don't own a Subie rex, but my buddy's 04 needed the timing belt/waterpump/plugs all replaced and your writeup allowed us to do it! Just to give you some background, he's not particularly car savvy, and I've been modding cars/trucks "garage DIY style" for a few years now. Anyway, I've never seen a WRX's hood open in person until yesterday, (aside from some nice STi's at shows), never been cursed with a car that has a timing belt (I'm thankful for chains!) and we successfully performed all the scheduled 105k maintenance. At a leisurely pace it took us about 8 hours. THANK YOU! Excellent writeup! You saved my buddy ~$800. I had to register just to tell you this.

regards from the PNW,

Andrew

Question Mechanic needed in Philadelphia

Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 WRX ATM, the to cam gear broke and I need it replaced, I have no clue if the any of the valve were bent as the vehicle has not been turned on since the gear broke. I need a good mechanic in Philadelphia who is reasonable, does anyone know a good mechanic does not have to be a dealer.

Thanks
    Soulrebel

Quote Originally Posted by Soulrebel View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 WRX ATM, the to cam gear broke and I need it replaced, I have no clue if the any of the valve were bent as the vehicle has not been turned on since the gear broke. I need a good mechanic in Philadelphia who is reasonable, does anyone know a good mechanic does not have to be a dealer.

Thanks
    Soulrebel
    You might try asking in your local forum: Tri-State - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

Good luck, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Thanks

Thanks TJ, I will try that

Replace crank seal

Nice write up on replacement of belt and water pump.
    Wondering on how to get at crank seal?
    I have the timing belt off and looking to replace the crank seal.

Great writeup! I am going to do my timing belt soon.

parts needed/recommended?

I know this is an old thread and all, but it's finally time to do this on my wife's 02 wagon. On a car where none of the following parts have been replaced already, is this a good list of parts I should be replacing when doing the timing belt? Is anything missing? Anything here that really doesn't need to be? Do I need to replace all the idlers?

Parts:
    Timing Belt
    Tensioner (if yours is leaking)
    Upper Idler
    Lower Idler
    1 Upper Idler (small bearing. 31mm O.D.)
    1 Lower Idler (sprocket with bearing.)
    Water Pump
    thermostat
    a/c belt
    alternator belt

I didn't replace the idlers or idler bearings. I don't know if that is common. I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything though.The rest looks good.

Good luck, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

timing question

Just to clarify, before I remove my old belt I should make sure my cam & crankshaft marks line up? Will this also line all the other marks up too or is it ok if those ones are off?

sorry for my noobiness

No you don't. As soon as you take the belt off, the pulleys are going to spin. But I did it to see how the marks lined up with the original belts.

You're welcome everyone! Sorry it's been so long, but I'm glad I could contribute.
    Last edited by section9; 03-23-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast