Cracked V-Limited Front Lip? - DIY Fix
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cracked V-Limited Front Lip? - DIY Fix within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I know I started explaining what I did in another thread, but I thought I'd make this one since I ...

Vez

Cracked V-Limited Front Lip? - DIY Fix

I know I started explaining what I did in another thread, but I thought I'd make this one since I finally finished it. I apologize for the cut and paste, but it seems silly to rewrite this first part...

I snapped my lip in two and didn't want to shell out the $450 for a new one, so this is what I did:

I bought 4 1"x4" long pieces of metal with 4 staggered holes already drilled in them (bought it at Lowe's). I then used two of the pieces to make a sort of splint for the flat, top part that sits flush with my fender (the piece where the original bolts go through) and the bottom part where it bends back toward the car. I then drilled three holes (in the top and bottom) and bolted the splints onto the lip. I then did the same for the bottom, but only used the metal piece on the inside since you'd see the outer one if it were used.

PICTURES: http://www.clubwrx.net/photopost/sho...0/ppuser/30465

For some reason, gremlins kept me from posting the pics here. Sorry.
    Last edited by Vez; 05-17-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added pic link
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Vez

Fixing the crack...

So, I made my first attempt at using bondo. I picked up some satin black spray paint (for plastics) and some professional glazing and spot putty...

I bought the putty at Advanced Auto Parts and the paint at Ace Hardware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint and Bondo.jpg  
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..

Vez
    I mixed the bondo as directed and filled in the crack and the scratches with the putty. I then wiped off most of the excess with a putty board (most any staight edge would do). I left a little extra on where the crack and the scratches were which I sanded down using first 220 sandpaper, then 320, then 600, then 1500. The 1500 seemed pointless since it was about as abrasive as printer paper. Definitely a learning experience. :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smBondo.jpg   smSanded Bondo.jpg  
    Last edited by Vez; 05-17-2007 at 07:40 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

Vez

Painting the bondo...

Finally, I painted it. Admittedly, if I were to do it over again, I'd spend a lot of time sanding. If you look at the crack in a certain light, it's obvious that it was fixed. I think you can make it looks almost brand new if you spend some time sanding it properly... The final touch was when I put on the aluminum STI badge I ordered to complete the original look. Despite it's imperfections, I'm very happy with how it turned out and I spent a total of about $30.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front lip - painted - close.jpg   front lip - painted.jpg   front lip - finished.jpg  
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

I Support ClubWRX
    Nifty job. Can't tell anything was wrong with it in the last 2 pics. Good price..good results. I wouldn't complain at all!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Vez
    Thank you.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.