how to change out the oil pan without removing the engine? DOnt ask why

This is a discussion on how to change out the oil pan without removing the engine? DOnt ask why within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Beacuse of Stupidity on my part i need to change out the oil pan. It is dented up real bad. ...

how to change out the oil pan without removing the engine? DOnt ask why

Beacuse of Stupidity on my part i need to change out the oil pan. It is dented up real bad. This is my first post. Has anyone else done this. The manual says remove the engine, but that seems a bit much. I have an 02 WRX. Any advice would be helpful. OH YEAH, never mistake the front jack position for the oil pan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by techryano View Post
    Because of Stupidity on my part i need to change out the oil pan. It is dented up real bad. This is my first post. Has anyone else done this. The manual says remove the engine, but that seems a bit much. I have an 02 WRX. Any advice would be helpful. OH YEAH, never mistake the front jack position for the oil pan.
    i had to change mine. cost 400 bucks. they told me they had to take apart some of the front suspension to get to it. i would have done it my self but they told me it was hard and i needed my car asap to drive to school. i know its 80 bucks for a new pan and gasket.

you might be able to undo the motor mounts and jack up both sides of the engine with 2 jacks and some wood on each side of the exhaust manifold. I don't know how safe that would be but I'm sure it would make enough room to pull the pan out and put a new one in. anyone know if its safe to jack the engine up with a block of wood under the manifold?

Well, It turns out that it will come out if you pretty much take out everything that is close to it. Oil filter and its assembly, heatshields for exhaust, oil coolant ring, oil pick up tube. Huge mess. but i did get it out. There is no easy way. Nothing was damaged inside the oil pan so I only have to replace the pan itself. I have a bad feeling that it wont be easy to get back together either. Thanks you your support, and dont use the oil pan as a Jack point. Stupid i know. I learned things here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Experience is the best teacher, but its not always the cheapest.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Oil Pan and floor jack

Don't beat yourself up for jacking up on the oil pan. At least you realized your mistake before running the car. We ran the car after the jacking incident and spun a connecting rod bearing. We started the car and the oil light went off so we figured the dented pan did not hurt the oil pressure. The pressure was OK, but the volume was compromised, resulting in the bearing failure. When you get the pan off, you will see why. The oil pickup tube is less than one inch from the pan bottom.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I swear they make it harder and harder to jack your car up safely all the time - that little plate is sketchy, jackstands don't work well on the pinch welds, etc. etc. They want to make it so eventually only people with lifts can touch the thing.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb