gas smell

This is a discussion on gas smell within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; i have a 2002 wrx... while car on, all i smell is gas coming through the air vents ( like ...

gas smell

i have a 2002 wrx... while car on, all i smell is gas coming through the air vents ( like someone soaked my interior)... anyone else have this problem? or any info about it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

gas smell

i have a 2002 wrx... while car on, all i smell is gas coming through the air vents ( like someone soaked my interior)... anyone else have this problem? or any info about it?

i had that problem at one point. It went away after a while. It came back the other day again. But is gone again. I still have a check engine code for a small leak in my emissions.....im clueless. Let me know if you find anything out. One thing you might want to check is the seal around the fuel pump. Sometimes the gasket has a bit of a bump on it and doesnt seat correctly. Do you have an aftermarket fuel pump?

use the search function, the search is your friend, caress it, hold it, hug it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knome View Post
    +1 this has been covered and there is a TSB for it. I don't think it's really going to cause a problem though, mine still does it - haven't had a problem and I'm pretty well modded.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Gas Smell

ya man i have a 2002 wrx also, and as of right now, i get a strong smell of raw gas in my car, i cant figure out what it is, and planning on taking it to a mechanic, but the smell is soo strong, and i notice that you smell it the most when the car is sitting idle, once you start moving its not so bad, but sometimes its fine, and other times i get the smell i dont know what it is, but im going to get it checked out, cuz i dont want my car to like blow up on me

select the air to circulate within the car so gas smell doesnt come in from engine bay for short term then do this below.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...fuel+leak+cold
    03 WRX MBP
    DB 18g | Megan DP | Gutted UP | Borla CB | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Big MAF | Walbro FP | Denso Iridiums | Torque Converter | ValveBody | APS TMIC | 680cc FI

Win
    Quote Originally Posted by fino22 View Post
    select the air to circulate within the car so gas smell doesnt come in from engine bay for short term then do this below.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...fuel+leak+cold
    Do you have to get the fuel lines from the dealer, or is there anyway to alter the existing fuel line and hoses?

Does anyone know how much the parts are and how many hours it takes a mechanic to complete?

Quote Originally Posted by rcorbett3 View Post
    Does anyone know how much the parts are and how many hours it takes a mechanic to complete?
    Mega Bump!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knome View Post
    It's in the notice.

Here is the notice:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...9V468-4248.pdf

While you're at it, have them check your control arms:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...1V464-9456.pdf

Subaru will fix both of these issues for free.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD