Silencing the VIN Plate / Defroster Panel rattle - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Silencing the VIN Plate / Defroster Panel rattle within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Grrrrrrrr....I did the silicon seal trick/foam on my vent area, and I'm STILL getting a rattle from around the VIN ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Grrrrrrrr....I did the silicon seal trick/foam on my vent area, and I'm STILL getting a rattle from around the VIN area. It's intermittent, but it drives me bananas.
    2010 SSM STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

can we say "god bless ya!"

I was about to hit my dash this afternoon. I have a 4 hour driving coming up this saturday...this is going to make the drive enjoyable now
    - Jason

South East Region
    2002 Black and Bronze WRX

"hihihi" - R.I.P. Jonathan Braxton Hawkins -

I Support ClubWRX
    Well mine still rattles so boo-hoo to that
    2010 SSM STI

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm gonna go try this soon, hopefully it works, that rattle has been driving me nuts..

My rattle is still present, but the clips were definitely part of the rattling that was there before. I still get a small intermitent rattle that isn't cured by pushing on the VIN plate.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

I Support ClubWRX
    I lined that panel with insulating foam and it STILL BLOODY RATTLES!

If I push on the VIN area, the rattle stops, which leads me to believe, for me at least, it's coming from inside the main area of the car, rather than that removeable piece. Wish I could fix it. I'm ready to kill someone.
    2010 SSM STI

I just did this yesterday and it worked like a charm. But it's only been 12 hours, so another rattle could develop.

After doing all the clips, I picked it up and shook it. Still had a slight rattle coming from the VIN plate rivets. So I just put two dabs of silicon on the rivets and no more rattle.

Good tutorial!

I Support ClubWRX
    Rivets? What rivets? Can you explain a little further? Thanks!
    2010 SSM STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok so I got so fed up with that rattle that I removed the entire piece with the vin plate attached, for a day to see if without that long piece it would rattle or not.

IT STILL RATTLES!! It's coming from the plasticy bits beneath where the piece sits. If I push down on that area, it stops, but I've no idea how to fix it. It's driving me mad.

I've put foam and everything in there and it still rattles!

ARGH!
    2010 SSM STI

windsheid (rear) rattle

You guys notice this either? I just bought a 03 and if there is ice on the trunk lid or just under the trunk (say if you were to open it and some snow got in that little crevas and froze, the thing rattles like a mo fo. This is hte second time i had to clear all the ice outta there... Atleast I think that is the problem... maybe my rear window isnt sealed properly or something... Anyone else have this issue?

I Support ClubWRX
    My trunk rattles like a mo-fo too when there's ice on it. It's normal.
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG
    My trunk rattles like a mo-fo too when there's ice on it. It's normal.

What a piece... Car companies need to bring cars up to new england to beta test, not florida.

I don't have the front dash rattle. But I am keeping this handy for when it DOES happen. However, I have a terrible rear deck rattle. When I push down on the rear deck it gets better. Its probably the thousand watt Amp pushing 2 JL 10s that's causing it. But as far as I can tell its the only audible rattle....from inside the car that is. The trunk rattles a bit and so does the license plate. I will put cloth under the plate to fix that one, but I could really use a lot of guidance on the rear deck rattle. Anyone seen a how-to on that one? Or perhaps want to come up with one?

BTW NICE TUTORIAL NICK DOGS....err I mean **** NOGS!!!

!!!Dyslexic be to happy am I
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Worked like a charm, only took 10 minutes
    '02 Alpine White WRX Wagon - PDXTuning EcuTek Stage 2 + TMIC
    Some stuff that makes it cooler, unless you work for Subaru, in which case it's completely stock.

Hi - first post here. Looks like a great forum, I saw a link from the Subaru forum I use here in the UK (www.scoobynet.co.uk).

Fantastic tutorial - thanks a lot. I'm going to tackle this one tomorrow. I've got the same rattle in the dash of my 03 UK wagon (I think that's an 04 to you guys). I've also got a really annoying rattle/buzz from the rear passenger side seatbelt mechanism. Anyone know how to get in there to sort that one out?

LOL at the feeling of wanting to kill someone especially when the car is only just run in and wasn't cheap!! You kind of expect it to hang together just a little bit longer don't you...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast