very strange Grounding problem
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on very strange Grounding problem within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Well i'm having a grounding problem but i can't seem to figure out what is the cause. Here is what ...

very strange Grounding problem

Well i'm having a grounding problem but i can't seem to figure out what is the cause. Here is what is happening:

When i get into the car and move around in the drivers seat and proceed to get out of the car by putting my foot on the ground and stepping out i get shocked. It either comes from the body of the car or through the steering wheel. The shock is so big that it can jump up to 2 inches through plastic and has even caused blown fuses when ever i touch a wire while inside the car. I have even seen it go from my foot inside my shoe, out the top of it and around the rubber soles and into the ground. Now it is causing my fingers to go numb for a few seconds.

I can't seem to figure out what is the cause of it and its starting to get really annoying and i'm getting a little bit nervous that it is going through the steering wheel, i'm afraid it will set off the air bag.

Can anyone provide diagrams of ground wire locations or can shed some light on what is going on.

p.s. it only happens when someone is in the driver seat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Any mods to the car?

Have a moderator move this to maintenance or something.

You're getting shocked through leather?!

Which fuses blew? When those circuits are not working, do you still get shocked?

It's dry and windy up here, I don't know about San Diego, so I get shocked too, but only when touching a metal surface on the car (or on anything else metal, like a building door etc.). When did you begin getting shocked?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I don't believe any of my mods would have caused this problem but i will list them:

Alpine deck
    full speaker system
    (had them for over 6 months no problems)

Full TBE exaust
    Up pipe
    Turbo inlet pipe
    Boost gauge (started before i put it in)
    IC hoses
    Catch can
    Engine management

I have the momo steering wheel option and i believe it is coming from the side of the of the steering column. The shock coming from there is rare but it hurts more than the others.

When i put in the boost gauge and connected the it up as i was trying to soder the wires a shock jumped from my finger to one of the wires and blew the 15amp fuse controlling the cabin main light, radio and clock. I mainly said that for effect because it takes a crap load to burn a 15 amp fuse.

sorry about posting in the wrong place i didn't see the other one. I posted here because it may have something to do with my EM but i don't think dies.
    Last edited by Knome; 01-16-2007 at 12:02 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    What you are describing is much more than a common static shock. Have you tried disconnecting circuits one by one, beginning with stuff you've added first, to see if anything changes? Does the car do this when it's humid out?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It does but the shock and the isn't anywhere near as big. If the humidity is over 92% it may not shock at all.

It may be one of your coils shorting out to something in the steering column?
    2004 Java Black Pearl WRX, intake silencer delete, stealth turbo back exhaust, perrin intercooler hoses, XPT stage 2 map, 50W 6000K HID's, stock short throw shifter, 3/16" mod, high flow filter.

I Support ClubWRX
    Every single time I exit my WRX I get a shock. I have trained myself to close the door with my knuckle on the black belt moulding at the top of the door.

no one knows?

It's probly more of a static shock, caused when you drag the butt out of the seat... I just got in the habbit of holding onto the door untill my foot touches the ground, that way it's my shoe that gets the shock.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

i think the static shock adds to it but i don't think is the main cause. There should be no way possible to move around in the seat for 3 seconds and cause a spark to jump 2.5 inches. I can't even do that moving around a hotel in nevada for 30 minutes with only socks on, trust me i've tried it only got 1.5 inches.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK let's assume you've got a fault. Start pulling fuses to try and isolate the circuit. Does your battery die when you leave the car parked for several days? Anyway, see if you can figure out which circuit is faulty by isolating it.

its not a grounding issue, 12v isn't going to arc to you, period.....if you were to get 'shocked' by anything its the iggy(thousands of volts) thru the steering column but thats pretty much knock you on your arse & it'd be only when starting the car.

you've got some really really bad static issues, proper grounding is only going to make it worse.

try different shoes, I have a few pairs of shoes that light me up pretty well....I rarely wear them anymore because of the annoyance.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

What i don't understand is how can i have no problems for 7 months going through the worst dry spell in my area and have no problems and all the sudden it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Knome View Post
    What i don't understand is how can i have no problems for 7 months going through the worst dry spell in my area and have no problems and all the sudden it starts.
    did you get new shoes for Christmas? or maybe your shoes' soles are starting to wear down.

All I know is that 12v isn't enough for you to feel that shock, so it isn't your car.

Try this, don't shut the door of your car after you get out & don't touch your steering wheel, walk over & touch something else that is grounded, faucet, metal frame of sorts, etc if you get shocked its static.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

No i can touch anything else without a problem, i think there may be a 5v accessory wire lose somewhere that is dispersing electrons onto the seat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.