very strange Grounding problem - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on very strange Grounding problem within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Ok i think i figured it out, when i put in my amp i didn't secure it with a grommet ...

Ok i think i figured it out, when i put in my amp i didn't secure it with a grommet because i couldn't find a hole to put the grommet in. So i just snaked it next to the big grommet on the passenger side behind the down pipe. Apparently it ate through the rubber siding and exposed it to the firewall. So i took out the wire and wrapped it in a crap load of electrical tape and it fixed the problem. Now i only have the normal static where i can hear it but i can't feel it twinge all the way up my arm. I guess the original little static shock made it able to gather the electrons near the site for a monster shock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL..dude...you were getting shocked by the capacitors discharging from your amps into the frame. When you mentiouned about your fingers going numb and feeling it up to your elbows....major clue. Glad you found the ground source though. Might want to monitor your battery though. I can't figure out how the improper ground was responsible for a charge build up around your area. Just doesn't seem likely. More likely was that the entire car built up an opposite polarity charge that you were isolated from while sitting in your seat. As soon as you touched something inside...ZAP.

I think someday I'll write something up in here about electron hole theory.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

yea i thought i may have been the cause because i know what 12volts feels like that it take a crap load more to jump 2 inches than 12 volts, also my amps been wigging out, dropping power in and out.

I thought it was a grounding problem because even if the whole car was building up a charge the ground should have been able to handle it.
    Last edited by Knome; 01-19-2007 at 12:53 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    For the common static shocks there's this, a costly and difficult way to accomplish something easy:
    http://www.northursalia.com/modifica...ic/static.html
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.