Valve cover gaskets replaced today still leaking

This is a discussion on Valve cover gaskets replaced today still leaking within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Replaced the valve cover gaskets today on my 02 wrx and of course one is still leaking. I didn't use ...

Valve cover gaskets replaced today still leaking

Replaced the valve cover gaskets today on my 02 wrx and of course one is still leaking. I didn't use any rvt or sealant. And did not replace the half moons as they did not seem to be leaking. Car does have 129k tho. I cleaned and cleaned meticulously And fit everything perfect.. subaru recommends to sealant or anything. The half moons the source or should I use sealant? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think a lot of the time you should be replacing the valve covers with the half moon and also add rtv where the valve cover and half moons meet

That's what I'm starting to think.. should I buy a whole new kit do you think or just the half moons and some sealant. Is it possible to try to clean and re sit the gasket I just bought? Again I cleaned very well and plan to again...

Ya I think the valve cover gaskets should be reusable as long as they didn't expand. That's probably all you'll need are the half moons and some sealant and hopefully that'll do it

Thank you that gives me a little more confidence lol. I've been trying to get the info from past forums and threads but what really is the best type of sealant to get and where should I apply it? Seems like mixed reviews all around but I really don't have the time to do this to many times over.

I'm not sure how it's set up for your car but I know with Toyota you use the black rtv you use for sealing oil pans. I think it's also called fipg. Then we usually put a dab of sealant where the valve cover meets the half moon...I usually put it over and on both sides of it though to be safe. Them you usually want to wait about 20 minutes for the sealant to start drying before running the car

redid this job today haha. replaced the half moons and used a thin film of sealant this time around... so far so good. ended up laanding on permatex grey. wish i wouldve done that stuff before..

question, did you have to jack up the engine anybit, in order to reach/unbolt the valve covers?

No sir. A 10mm ratcheting wrench made the job much easier tho. Make sure you replace the half moons and use a bit of sealant.

thanks will do.
    also did you have to take the spark plugs out?
    and just to be ready how much oil leaked out when taking covers off?

Didn't remove spark plugs just the coil packs. And i didn't have too much oil drop. Enough to want a pan under there to avoid stains tho. Make sure you clean your surface very well