[HELP] Heater not blowing heat

This is a discussion on [HELP] Heater not blowing heat within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hello everyone i am new to the subaru world ! I recently purchased a 02 WRX with 130K on it ...

[HELP] Heater not blowing heat

Hello everyone i am new to the subaru world !
    I recently purchased a 02 WRX with 130K on it from the dealership they put a no warrenty on it because its a turbo car... but i had already signed over the papers.
    Thats besides the point i bought the car as is and didn't realize that the heater wasent working....
    The next day after i purchased the car i had figured this out.. than i looked and realized that the hoses coming from the firewall are being bypassed into a loop.
    Here is a picture...

Okay now... First thing that comes to mind is my heater core is bad or leaking or just gunked up and the previous owner didn't know what to do..
    So ive done my fare share of research and the heater core seems like its just too much of a hastle to work with and id rather just not have a heater because i dont wanna rip off the dash and do all this stuff for something i have never even done before..
    But i don't think its the heater core...
    The reason i say this is because..

I think the car was in a front end collision before i bought it and the dealership bought the car at auction and replaced what needed to be replaced....
    I have a carfax of the car that is why i know it was purchased from auction before i bought it car fax doesent have any reported accident but i have a eye...
    And know how to put two and two together...
    1. The car has a brand new paint job.
    2. There is a crack in the front right light.
    3. There is a brand new radiator and radiator mount on the car...

So now i start too think maybe they just didn't hook the heater up too the radiator when they replaced all that stuff because i assume it is hard to get too all the hoses and they just bypassed the firewall hose?
    Can this be a possiblity?

I'm posting here so that i can re-hook up the hoses and test too see if that was it.. but don't know where the hoses connect after i take them out of the loop.
    i also don't want coolant leaking all over my interior if it was the heater core that was the problem, So where should i place towls down in my car, too make sure that they wont get into the interiour ? if this is even possible...
    Sorry that this was such a long right up... i just felt i should jump into FULL detail so that, it makes it easier on you guys to help me...
    Thanks alot.
    Last edited by Dunsparth; 12-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't see your pic.

I know its obvious, but did you check the coolant levels?

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    I can't see your pic.

I know its obvious, but did you check the coolant levels?
    i edited the picture.. Yah i checked the coolant levels they are good to go but they dont even matter because the heaters not hooked up and i dont know how or where to hook it up after i un bypass those two lines...

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no need to bypass the heater if replacing a radiator. I don't see an immediate connection. It could be both the rad was damaged and the heater core is leaking.

Consider pressure testing the heater core; see if you can DIY some fittings.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    There is no need to bypass the heater if replacing a radiator. I don't see an immediate connection. It could be both the rad was damaged and the heater core is leaking.

Consider pressure testing the heater core; see if you can DIY some fittings.
    Well i just figured that hooking it back up might be a pain in the ass?
    Since i cant even figure out where to hook it back up too... But i also don't know where to look :/
    Also how would i pressure test it ? Thanks for the reply that's more of an answer than i've gotten from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunsparth View Post
    Well i just figured that hooking it back up might be a pain in the ass?
    Since i cant even figure out where to hook it back up too... But i also don't know where to look :/
    Also how would i pressure test it ? Thanks for the reply that's more of an answer than i've gotten from anyone.
    2005 sti heater hose routing ??? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

That thread has a picture from an 05 sti, maybe that helps?

To pressure test? Not sure what size the fittings are, but I'm sure you could pick up a correctly sized rubber vacuum cap for one end, and rig something up with a length of vacuum line and a hose tail quick connect air fitting.