Car won't start

This is a discussion on Car won't start within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I have a 2010 WRX sedan 65k miles. I just got the car a few weeks ago and it wont ...

Car won't start

I have a 2010 WRX sedan 65k miles. I just got the car a few weeks ago and it wont start. All the lights come on but no turn over or crank. I replaced the battery and im not sure what else it could be. I had my buddy try and start it while I held a book over the exhaust as i suspected it could be a back pressure issue. Also here is a picture. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9754.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Has it ever started in your hands?

Are all the fuses (inside, outside of cabin) OK?

Is the harness to the starter and the alternator OK?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If it doesn't turn over/crank (isn't that the same thing?) there is certainly no back pressure issue... Seems more like an electrical issue, either a blown fuse or a missing connection somewhere. Or even a bad starter (-solenoid). As SD_GR said: have you had it running ever or did you get it in this condition?
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by fontaman View Post
    im not sure what else it could be.
    If it won't run, it isn't getting any/enough of any one (or more) of three things: fuel, air, or spark (electricity).

Unfortunately, no electricity can often be more involved than just replacing the battery. Looks like SD_GR and Ingo have you started down a good path though.
    Last edited by Zataks; 12-04-2013 at 01:03 PM.

For one, we can't see squat in your picture. That doesn't help.

As mentioned, was it ever running in your possession? Bought privately or at a dealer?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

aaaahhh you won't get back pressure if it can't turn over. Do you get any clicks i.e. solenoid ???? Or just nothing ?????
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker