coolant explosion leak
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on coolant explosion leak within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; So three days ago I changed my timing belt water pump etc. Since then I have had zero issues until ...

coolant explosion leak

So three days ago I changed my timing belt water pump etc. Since then I have had zero issues until tonight. The. Car was smoking under the hood but not over heating. Popping the hood it smelled like hot coolant and there is coolant visibly all over the underside. Of the hood close to the radiator cap and overflow tank. My guess is the line running in to the overflow since it (the overflow) keeps running low. The other two caps have a good level consistently when checked and I see no visible cracks or leaks in the lines running along the top of the radiator. Any ideas why I have coolant spewing under neath the hood in that area. And to double check there are no o rings on the insert line for the overflow right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pressure check the coolant system see where its leaking from
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

I Support ClubWRX
    The overflow is not under pressure and there is no clamp necessary for the line to the white plastic container.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sounds like the radiator cracked. Common problem. Rev the motor with the hood open. If the radiator is cracked it will spew out fluid.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Sounds like the radiator cracked. Common problem. Rev the motor with the hood open. If the radiator is cracked it will spew out fluid.
    +1 - timing belt is probably coincidental.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Did we find out A solution to this problem? Because I am having the same problem as of last night

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Boardbikeandride View Post
    Did we find out A solution to this problem? Because I am having the same problem as of last night
    Regardless of what the OP's problem ended up being, the same advice applies to your car. You need to get it pressure tested to see where it is leaking unless you can see where it is coming from more easily.

it turned out to be a crack in the top of the oem radiator on the middle driver side where the plastic and metal meet. I found this out while going to go get the items I needed to do a compression test. I knew I had a leak as you can see in the op but it was not a severe enough loss of coolant to affect a short drive. But on that drive the fissure became worse and the cars temp crept up and I popped the hood and was able to see it. Not the best way to find your leak but I got lucky and didn't harm the engine. I recommend the compression test.

Quote Originally Posted by bmoose View Post
    it turned out to be a crack in the top of the oem radiator on the middle driver side where the plastic and metal meet. I found this out while going to go get the items I needed to do a compression test. I knew I had a leak as you can see in the op but it was not a severe enough loss of coolant to affect a short drive. But on that drive the fissure became worse and the cars temp crept up and I popped the hood and was able to see it. Not the best way to find your leak but I got lucky and didn't harm the engine. I recommend the compression test.

I just found a hole in the top hose that comes from my rad to my engine, could that be my problem? My engine does not over heat on my temperature gauge, but she definitely smokes heavily all the sudden

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes a hole in a coolant line is a problem. Get it replaced. Park the car meanwhile.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoose View Post
    About how mine went too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Yes a hole in a coolant line is a problem. Get it replaced. Park the car meanwhile.
    After that, refill from the upper reservoir then fill the overflow to the high line. Start the car and allow it to come up to full operating temperature for a few minutes with the passenger heater on hot and the fan on high. Turn off the car, allow to cool, and refill the top reservoir and the overflow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.