P0420 on 99% stock 2004 WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on P0420 on 99% stock 2004 WRX within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; HAAAhaha.. the guy at Autozone suggested i just put in an new nvidia exhaust. unfortunately reliability and cost is outweighing ...

HAAAhaha.. the guy at Autozone suggested i just put in an new nvidia exhaust. unfortunately reliability and cost is outweighing the need for speed.. this is and has been my daily driver for 10 years.. .. however if i ever do get another car i plan to pimp this one out...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think removing the cat in the up pipe is against federal law since you have 2 remaining cats down stream and subaru replaced them as well in STi, legacy GT models and 2.5 Wrx. Obviously an invidia would stick out like a sore thumb but an oem non catted would be a good fix with resistor mod

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

UPDATE --- foiled again by modern technology. I got my cat-conv delivered just in time for three days of rain and the first sunny day I had to travel 400 miles.. so scarlet letter rejection sticker still on the car and it's salvation still in the box I headed out to WVa.. i got a about 200 miles and got the idea to reset the MIL at 75MPH on rt 81s.. so after 50 miles.. no light.. 80.. checked the mil status and all sensors complete and CEL light still good.. .. short story.. 700miles later on shell v-power 93 and all good.. passed inspection and have about $300 in parts still in the box..

I still say it's bad. It's just on the verge of good/bad. That's how my Matrix was - sometimes I would get several tanks of gas in between CELs. It slowly got worse and I ended up biting the bullet before I sold it so that I didn't have to worry about it.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    I still say it's bad. It's just on the verge of good/bad. That's how my Matrix was - sometimes I would get several tanks of gas in between CELs. It slowly got worse and I ended up biting the bullet before I sold it so that I didn't have to worry about it.

etnpnys: .. you are probably right.. the good news is i passed NJ inspection.. but today the P0420 popped up.. so the saga continues..

Quote Originally Posted by ChadU View Post
    etnpnys: .. you are probably right.. the good news is i passed NJ inspection.. but today the P0420 popped up.. so the saga continues..
    Bummer, but congrats on the pass! Now, it's really a matter of principle for you unless you plan to sell the vehicle. I drove around for about a year or two with the P0420 because I knew the emissions were clean enough to pass - so I didn't worry about my "contributions" to the environment. I just checked/cleared it every now and then to make sure the P0420 was all it was throwing.

IMO, if you don't need to sell the vehicle, you have plenty of time.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12