SeaFoam
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on SeaFoam within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Today I took the time to put Seafoam into my car...I put 1/3 of a 16oz can into my fuel ...

SeaFoam

Today I took the time to put Seafoam into my car...I put 1/3 of a 16oz can into my fuel tank to clean fuel injectors, 1/3 into the engine block and 1/3 into the vacuum line of the BPV. Everything went great however after smoke had cleared, I noticed some smoke comming from near the turbo....does this mean I have a vacuum leak? Anyone else experience slight smoke from the engine bay when using this product or something similar?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I actually had this happen too. Anybody know if this is normal?

i did this a few months back and notice that i had a crack on the downpipe near the bolts...

Quote Originally Posted by NFAMOUZxxvii View Post
    i did this a few months back and notice that i had a crack on the downpipe near the bolts...
    Yeah i experienced this problem as well, right before one of my injectors was stuck open.

I had it a little bit too, I assumed it was a small exhaust leak.

I just did this the other day and noticed the very same thing... Any ideas?

I've had suspicion of a vacuum or radiator hose leak or something lately... Would seafoam help me locate any leaks? What else does it do?

I don't know about vacuum leaks as that pulls air in but it will find intake and exhaust leaks depending where in the system you put it in
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Out of curiosity I looked up the contents. It's up to 60% paraffin oil (CAS 64742-54-7); up to 35% naphtha (CAS 64742-49-0) and up to 20% isopropanol (CAS 67-63-0).

The "up to" bit means there is a range, and to me that implies that they make different batches of the stuff, and simply sell it as is for all I know. The MSDS will allow them to do that if they state outright something like, say, 40%-60% component x and so on.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Exhaust leak.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I don't know about vacuum leaks as that pulls air in but it will find intake and exhaust leaks depending where in the system you put it in
    Sweet sounds useful. I read something for about it cleaning some sort of build up in an engine as well? Would you recommend running some through my 04 with 98k mile? And if so can u send me a link of the type to get? I'm unaware if it's just one type or multiple. Thanks

I think there's only one type...go to autozone
    Yes it cleans the system out depending on where you put it in
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    I've done some pricing and it's cheaper (and legal) for me to buy it than to DIY a home brew based on the MSDS. They must either synthesize or benefit from bulk pricing the ingredients.

I use it only in the fuel and only in small engines (mowers, bikes). The WRX is a modern car and in theory should never need it. In practice though...
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I've done some pricing and it's cheaper (and legal) for me to buy it than to DIY a home brew based on the MSDS. They must either synthesize or benefit from bulk pricing the ingredients.

I use it only in the fuel and only in small engines (mowers, bikes). The WRX is a modern car and in theory should never need it. In practice though...
    you mean instead of putting it in the oil? The fuel system I can see, and running it through the vacuum line into the combustion chamber will do the same thing. I prefer fuel lines though
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    you mean instead of putting it in the oil? The fuel system I can see, and running it through the vacuum line into the combustion chamber will do the same thing. I prefer fuel lines though
    Right. I've never run it in the oil and I've never used a fuel line or vac line. I've only added it to the tank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.