question about oil
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on question about oil within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; i have read several threads and stickies over on nasioc aout what oil is best and all of that. it ...

question about oil

i have read several threads and stickies over on nasioc aout what oil is best and all of that.

it seems the top 3 that i see mentioned a lot is mobil 1, german castrol, and rotella. I use synthetic mobil 1 5w-30 extended performance right now. It seems that many people say that the other brands are better.

what group are each of these oils? and what order would you rank them in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    i have read several threads and stickies over on nasioc aout what oil is best and all of that.

it seems the top 3 that i see mentioned a lot is mobil 1, german castrol, and rotella. I use synthetic mobil 1 5w-30 extended performance right now. It seems that many people say that the other brands are better.

what group are each of these oils? and what order would you rank them in?
    I would say have it analyzed by blackstone labs and they can tell you if the oil you're using is effective. If it's doing its job, stick with it. Everyone has an opinion about oil but there really isn't a best, and that my opinion
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

i know everyone will have a different opinion. i'm curious as to why they think the other ones are better.

mobil 1 is good oil, but it runs thin. Mobil 1 0w-40 is pretty much ideal for these cars. A 30-weight M1 WILL break down and start fatiguing your bearings.

German castrol is also good oil, but it runs thick, so a 0w-30 or 5w-30 will work fine (although -40 wouldn't hurt)

Not sure where rotella sits, but err on the side of 0w-40.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    German castrol is also good oil, but it runs thick, so a 0w-30 or 5w-30 will work fine (although -40 wouldn't hurt)
    "German Castrol" refers to a 0W-30 "Syntec" labeled oil from DE. There are no other viscosities. There may be a Belgian 5W-40 available. The other Syntecs seem to be made in the US. There is also a US made 0W-30 Syntec. Only one of these oils is German.

Not sure where rotella sits, but err on the side of 0w-40.
    This would exclude Rotella as the T6 is a fleet-style 5W-40. I can't think of many inhabited areas where a 5W-40 synth would be inadequate.

In any case, what I think is irrelevant. What SOA require in their specs is all that matters if the vehicle is under warranty.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

personally, i'm not worried about warranty issues. i'm about to go stage 2, so it's a mute point.

I Support ClubWRX
    If warranty is moot I would use a quality 5W-40 in either NY or TX, any season. However I would not believe someone (like me...) on the internet. I'd pick something I thought was reasonable, locally available, and not much $, and I'd run it for a bit and do a UOA to see how it's working for me.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    personally, i'm not worried about warranty issues. i'm about to go stage 2, so it's a mute point.
    Falling into the, "Meh, good oppurtunity to add forged pistons" category? ...Dangerous category =P.

I am still gonna use what Subaru recommends for mine (I have to look at the update, but I want to say its now 0w-40). It can't hurt in case I need a warranty repair whether they honor it or not. I'll also send it away for oil analysis to make sure it's okay. Actually gonna do an oil change next week sometime. Just waiting for my filters to come in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    I've just (less than 2 hours ago) made the switch to Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.

I had been using Mobil 1 5W-30 for 7 + years with no discernible amount of oil consumption.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I've just (less than 2 hours ago) made the switch to Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.

I had been using Mobil 1 5W-30 for 7 + years with no discernible amount of oil consumption.
    Keep your eye on consumption, it may be quite different than what you are used to. I always do this no matter what I've gone from or are moving to. Once you've run it for a few changes you will have a better idea of what to expect. Keep checking level.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Keep your eye on consumption, it may be quite different than what you are used to. I always do this no matter what I've gone from or are moving to. Once you've run it for a few changes you will have a better idea of what to expect. Keep checking level.
    Will do ... thanks. Aren't you using Rotella now (or did use)?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Will do ... thanks. Aren't you using Rotella now (or did use)?
    I am using T6 5W-40. I had been on any M1 W40 available, either 0W or 5W, but they now cost more than T6 and I tend to use a bit more than I like. I am doing over 5K change intervals (the longer the better; I go between 5K and 7.5K).

I have not done a UOA on the T6. I am not exceeding the manufacturer recommendations for normal driving anyway, and the oils available have improved compared to those spec'ed in the manual (my 02 can use an API SJ if need be I think -- I haven't seen one this century).

I think my car uses less T6 than M1 Turbodiesel, at least at this age. When the motor had 60K less it used no measurable M1 Turbodiesel but the use had crept up to where I had to add oil between changes. No big deal either way. I do like paying less for competent oil though so T6 it is.

is it me, or does the rotella t6, and the german castrol not meet subaru's requirements?

I Support ClubWRX
    is it me, or does the rotella t6, and the german castrol not meet subaru's requirements?
    I don't think they do; check the bottles. I was under the impression warranty is moot from your previous statement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.