Cylinder Head Removal - Help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cylinder Head Removal - Help! within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I am currently removing the heads of my '02 with the engine still in the car (Yes, I'm a glutton ...

Cylinder Head Removal - Help!

I am currently removing the heads of my '02 with the engine still in the car (Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment, but I don't have the space or equipment to pull it out). Anyways, I've got the driver's side head out and I'm to the passenger side. The bolts are all loose and the (a) and (d) bolts (the frontside and backside bolts on the intake side) are still in by few threads.

The problem is that I cannot the head to separate from the block, the front side is loose and will come out slightly, but the rear half won't move. I've already removed the oil feed line and the bracket connecting the turbo to the head, but it won't come out. I really really really don't want to remove the turbo, which, obviously entails removing the center pipe and I'm so close to getting it out.

Is there a trick I'm missing, is it connected to something on the back that I can't see? I'm really frustrated at this point as I've torn the whole engine apart and it's my daily driver and I need my wheels back. Please, any input would be greatly appreciated.....
    confucius say "Man who run in front of car get tired."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They tell you to leave bolts A and D on slightly to prevent the head from flying away, then in the same breath they tell you to beat it with a mallet (but softly...) to get it loose. I do not think the heads differ in how they separate from the motor. Can you get a mirror back there to check? Have you tried a mallet? I wonder if the heat on that side, which is higher than the other side rear and both front sides, is making the difference.

Heads off with motor in takes courage.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ended up being the brackets from the water/oil lines that are hidden behind the head on that side. Got the head off, machined and both of them back. However, now, I'm kinda worrying about whether my block is warped (HG blew from overheating). Any easy ways to check it? What sort of tolerances do I have with warpage?
    confucius say "Man who run in front of car get tired."

I Support ClubWRX
    The limits for warping for both the head and the block on the 2.0L from 2002 are identical: 50 μm or 0.05 mm.

The limits for grinding differ. For the block, the limit is 100 μm (0.1 mm) and for the head the limit is 300 μm (0.3 mm).

As for how to tell with the motor in the car... I don't know, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.