Oil Cooler Seals ??? Any other name?

This is a discussion on Oil Cooler Seals ??? Any other name? within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; During a recent dealer spanking to diagnose a tranny issue, I was informed that I have an oil leak originating ...

Oil Cooler Seals ??? Any other name?

During a recent dealer spanking to diagnose a tranny issue, I was informed that I have an oil leak originating from the oil cooler. Evidently there are seals where the lines hook up to the oil cooler that need to be replaced. I have looked all over the internet to find such seals and/or how to fix this issue, but I can find nothing, even in the repair manual. Can anyone steer me into the right direction? I have not been bottomside yet to look for myself, since I am waiting for shipment of a new/used tranny. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmm...... nobody knows!

There is an orange rubber o-ring between the block and the oil cooler (above the oil filter). The dealership should carry them, mine was around $8 I think. I just replaced mine in my 02. Not sure what year yours is though.

Oil Cooler O-ring - NASIOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfartus View Post
    Hmmm...... nobody knows!
    ... what car you drive... nobody knows what model you have... nobody knows what oil cooler you have...

There are two types. The cylindrical one above the oil filter itself and the line-fed external. The latter is rarer and more expensive but it has external lines. Which do you have?

Do you have the common cylinder type oil cooler above the filter? (There are two sub-types of this too, pre- and post- 2.5L WRX). Do the bypass hoses leak or what? Or is it the main o-ring to the cooler itself?

Incidentally, since you were at a dealer, wouldn't that be a good place to get the parts needed?

The NASIOC link posted above doesn't show parts that match my car -- because I have a different model. The parts are easy to source from a dealer but you will have to specify to them which model you have. They will also be able to tell you the tightening torques for each piece; be sure to ask.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-17-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.