04 WRX Short Shifter Bushings Install
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 04 WRX Short Shifter Bushings Install within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; This weekend was a failure for me when I tried to install my Energy Short Shifter Bushings on my '04 ...

04 WRX Short Shifter Bushings Install

This weekend was a failure for me when I tried to install my Energy Short Shifter Bushings on my '04 WRX. First, the space is so minimal to take off the linkages within the drive-shaft tunnel that I doubted how people remove the bushings to begin. Also, after installing the short shifter, I felt that I might be able to access the linkage through the top.

My question is whether anyone has tried to remove and install their shifter bushings through the interior method (i.e. removing the shifter boot assembly)? Just a thought, but figured it would cure my curiosity before I tear up my hands below the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If feasible (which I doubt), it would be more difficult than just getting the vehicle in the air.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I've done 4 different shifters on 02-07 WRXs. I'm at the point where I can do one in under an hour... including the 3 different bushings.

I'm not sure which bushing you're referring to... but there are 3

1) The small circular bushing that sits inside the actual shifter.
    2) The front bushing, large circular that attaches to the side of the transmission
    3) The rear bushing, that attaches to the floorboard behind the shifter, above the driveshaft.

1 - You can (and have to) get to from inside the car.

2+3 - must be accessed from under the vehicle. There is no way to get to them from inside the car.

My advice - do the ones under the car first. If you're shifter is still connected to the linkage, it will make it significantly more difficult to remove the stock F+R bushings underneath.

The front bushing - is held on by 1 10mm (if I recall) nut. The OEM one is a 1-piece design, and a PITA to remove from the circular housing. Use a razor blade to slice off one side of it, and the rest of it will slide out the other side pretty easily. If you are still having trouble... try using a long (disposable) screwdriver to pry it out... you might bend it.

The rear bushing..... is difficult to get to.... more difficult if your car has been lowered, as it sits right on top of the driveshaft. Be patient.... it just takes a bit of determination. If your shifter is still connected inside the car, you may not be able to get the old one off. It is held on by 2 bolts... 12mm if I recall.

Hope this helps

1. disconnect the shifter from the shift linkage
    2. change the bushings under the car (grease everything)
    3. reattach (or replace) the shifter
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 10-26-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.