I have a dead short on my 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS

This is a discussion on I have a dead short on my 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; basically to give a run down background, I purchased the car in may of 08, and immediately put a new ...

I have a dead short on my 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS

basically to give a run down background,
    I purchased the car in may of 08, and immediately put a new alternator into it, it ran fine until about Novemberish, then began to intermittently have problems starting, like, I would turn the key on, and the interior would light up, and then try to turn the engine over and it would click, and the inside would die out,

jiggling the positive battery cable usually fixed this problem.

in February of 09 I took the car mudding, (like a dumbass) and it actually did really amazingly good for about 2 hours, then I got stuck and tried to rock back and forth to get out, and wound up breaking a half shaft. the car was taken off the road, and battery died, and sat through winter, around March, I tried to jump it just to get the motor running, when I noticed there was little oil so I just turned the engine over rather than starting it, about 2 months ago. a friend of mine expressed interest in buying it, and we went over to jump it oil it and tow it to his shop, but that is where we encountered the dead short.

we could not get it to take charge, and after searching, we found that a main 80 amp fuse was blown, i BRIEFLY tried to bridge it with a screwdriver, and watched it turn red hot, before i realized that was significantly bad and removed it instantly. my question is could this have anything to do with the alternator I installed when I got it? or could it be from the faulty battery connection? is there the possibility that overjumping it this spring may have blown a wire off so its directly shorting out?

I've asked around vaguely, and gotten differing answers, but I just wanna know whaT I need to look for, or even what I can do, right now, the car is stuck where it is, as the shifter is electrically locked and doesnt unlock until it recognizes a key is in the ignition lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Assume you have a bad battery, bad terminals, and bad main leads from the battery until you can prove otherwise. Use a known good battery in place of whatever is in there now only after you've verified all connections.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Assume you have a bad battery, bad terminals, and bad main leads from the battery until you can prove otherwise. Use a known good battery in place of whatever is in there now only after you've verified all connections.
    Having a bad battery could actually cause the 80 amp fuse to blow?

I Support ClubWRX
    The link blew because there was a short somewhere. If you can't make sure the battery has all cells good, assume it's bad. For all we know the link may have blown when you tried to jump the car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.