im smelling coolant? any ideas wats wrong?

This is a discussion on im smelling coolant? any ideas wats wrong? within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Wen I drive the car is running at the proper temperature but using coolant. I just did an oil change ...

im smelling coolant? any ideas wats wrong?

Wen I drive the car is running at the proper temperature but using coolant. I just did an oil change the other day and didn't see coolant in the oil. It wasn't milky. I really need some help I can't figure out the problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Best bet would to pressure testing your cooling system. By doing so it should be apparent what the problem is and what the proper fix would be...

I Support ClubWRX
    any leaks? when/where do you smell coolant? is your floor board wet?

year? Mileage?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I would also check the radiator, pipes, caps etc. If the temps are fine it could just be a small leak letting out the right amount of coolant for you to smell.

what model year and car do you have?
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

I haven't found any leaks yet I parked it in my garage and there was nothing on the ground Wen I left. Could this be cuz I filled the coolant pass the full line. It's an 04 Sti with 64k on it. I checked the coolant today and it was right at the full line. Idk its relle wired I didn't even smell coolant today Wen I drove the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by njc713 View Post
    Could this be cuz I filled the coolant pass the full line.
    If the bottle was empty to begin with you may have a leak. If the bottle was simply low after lots and lots of time and miles, and you overfilled, then yes, that'd explain the smell. Keep a close eye on it. If the bottle goes low, park it until you fix the problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wen I bought the car about a week a ago I didn't check the coolant level. Wen I got home I checked both the oil and coolant and I noticed it was low. So I started filling it up. I wasn't sure where the fill line was because its a little hard to see so I filled it about 5 inches higher than the fill line. The car was stiill running fine. It wasnt till yesterday. That I smelled coolant. I then parked the car in the garage to see if it was leakin. And. I didn't find anything. Today I checked the coolant and the level was good and. didnt smell it at all? I'll just keep checking the coolant like u said and post wats going on. Thanks for the help and sorry if I'm confusing i am new to clubwrx.

A needle size hole leak will hold water until there is pressure. Sometimes the leak will be atomized by warm under-hood air and leave no other trace, except the odor of evaporating coolant.

I once had a GLTurbo that sprung a pin hole leak in the turbo coolant hose. The emerging water was immediately evaporated by the hot turbo housing or the exhaust pipe.

Pressure test the system for a long period of time!

Gary

Thanks for the help I think I might have found the problem. I was lookin over my radiator and I seen a few small drips on the plastic skid plate. I think it is a pinhole leak but idk where its coming from. I think its leaking near the lower part of the radiator kinda near the timing belt somewhere down there any ideas what hose it I could be. I'm not familiar with these motors yet