Best way to remove overtightened bolts

This is a discussion on Best way to remove overtightened bolts within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I'm trying to get my oil drain plug out and the last guys who worked on it tightened so much ...

Best way to remove overtightened bolts

I'm trying to get my oil drain plug out and the last guys who worked on it tightened so much I couldn't remove it even with a fitted wrench and a hammer.

What's the best way to loosen this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
    I'm trying to get my oil drain plug out and the last guys who worked on it tightened so much I couldn't remove it even with a fitted wrench and a hammer.

What's the best way to loosen this?
    Heat Gun, WD-40 and a high quality wrench.
    Defi Imperial Boost Guage,Tim Bailey Tuned,Cobb catted DP, Borla CBE, GT Spec 4 point H brace. 18x8.5 Enkei PF01s, Kartboy Engine Pitch Stopper. Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. Rallitek 25mm FSB, Rallitek 22mm RSB, Rallitek HD endlinks.
    "Can you imagine the eThug power you'll be able to wield as you type messages of death to JDM hating domestic car enthusiasts?"-TiC

I Support ClubWRX
    I hate to say this, but a 6-pt. wrench and a hammer... Are you sure you're attempting to loosen it? The last thing you want is a stripped drain bolt, so be careful when removing it and be careful when replacing it too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by sd_gr View Post
    i hate to say this, but a 6-pt. Wrench and a hammer... Are you sure you're attempting to loosen it? The last thing you want is a stripped drain bolt, so be careful when removing it and be careful when replacing it too.
    +1
    Defi Imperial Boost Guage,Tim Bailey Tuned,Cobb catted DP, Borla CBE, GT Spec 4 point H brace. 18x8.5 Enkei PF01s, Kartboy Engine Pitch Stopper. Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. Rallitek 25mm FSB, Rallitek 22mm RSB, Rallitek HD endlinks.
    "Can you imagine the eThug power you'll be able to wield as you type messages of death to JDM hating domestic car enthusiasts?"-TiC

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I hate to say this, but a 6-pt. wrench and a hammer... Are you sure you're attempting to loosen it? The last thing you want is a stripped drain bolt, so be careful when removing it and be careful when replacing it too.
    The drain plug on a WRX should loosen to the left, correct? Counterclockwise?

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    it does loosen counterclockwise. Be careful though, its easy to mix that up when your under the car at and weird angle to the bolt. I did the same thing, luckily i wasn't using accesive force, just couldn't get it off then realized i was going the wrong way.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

somewhere in the nowhere of somethings mind eye of a nothing
    just remember righty-tighty, lefty-loosey
    "if you want peace, prepare for war", latin proverb and common sense
    "Why do penguins take smoke breaks?"