one man brake bleeding diy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on one man brake bleeding diy within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; don't have someone to help bleed brakes, no problem- Motive brake bleeder is all you need specifically this one (Ford ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

one man brake bleeding diy

don't have someone to help bleed brakes, no problem- Motive brake bleeder is all you need

specifically this one (Ford three prong) Motive Products 0107 - Motive Products Power Bleeder Kits
    get one of these while your at it

Motive Products 1820 - Motive Products Brake Pressure Bleeding Catch Bottle Kits

this is really easy, the Motive is also very effective- more effective than the typical two man bleed as you can get long bleeds and pesky pockets you might not have got w/ the two man method

first loosen all four corner lug nuts, jack up the front and put jack stands (I have always used the pinch welds for stands), repeat in the rear- remove the wheels/tires

pop the hood, connect the bleeder adapter to the master cylinder- pump the bleeder (empty) till you hit 10 psi (clearly marked on the dial)- this is just to insure there are no leaks, if no leaks slowly (slowly) remove pump top till all the pressure is relieved (don't remove it at the master cylinder under pressure)

now your ready for your fluid- I like ATE as it comes in two colors, has a high operating temp (wet and dry) and is reasonably priced- the tow colors allow you to alternate between the two- this way insuring a full flush.

one quart should do the trick, but it's always worth having a second on hand- just don't open the second till needed (once opened the fluid absorbs moisture)

with the bleeder filled w/ fluid, pump it up to 15psi- it doesn't need to be any higher. It's time to move to the brakes- the bleed order for the WRX is Front Right, Rear Left, Front Left and Rear Right- use this order and no other- this is what the FSM calls for- it's a little odd, but the WRX uses a diagonal system

remove the rubber cap on the bleeder (don't lose it ), then get a 10mm wrench to crack the bleeder w/- put the wrench on nipple and before cracking it the bleed tube- use the wire to hang the bottle so there is no weight on the tube (lest it pull off and brake fluid goes all over the joint!)

crack the nipple, let the fluid flow- watch for the color change (it'll be gradual- let it get good and blue)- when your satisfied, tighten the bleed screw (snug- don't get carried away or you'll twist it off!) remove the drain tube and bottle, replace the rubber cover and move to the next caliper and repeat- it's that easy

when you all done w/ all four corners- slowly remove the pressure by unscrewing the pump cover, once relieved you can remove the cap from the master cylinder insure to drain all fluid out of the bleeder

start the car up and insure everything is working properly (not driving 75mph down the interstate!) after driving for a bit, check the level of the master cylinder- if it's not to the max line add a little fluid, if it's over take a dropper (clean one) and remove enough fluid to be at the max line

that's it- easy/schmeasy

found a video that might help too

YouTube - Do it yourself brake bleeding
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice write up! I did this a couple of weeks ago, definately prefer it to the speedbleeders.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

thanks big sky, this'll come in handy for my big ol' brake swap this weekend.
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

Thanks doing that tomorrow, just found out i need to change my fluid every so often (i am one of those dot 3ers who leaves it in for a decade).

DUB
    Nice work Big Sky. Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    sweeeeet
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    once you use this system you probably won't use anything else- makes bleeding easy and is more efficient than the old two man system

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    once you use this system you probably won't use anything else- makes bleeding easy and is more efficient than the old two man system
    I'm getting my whole brake setup changed out here in the next month.. so I'll probably pick one of them up.

(sorry... PM is coming )
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I know this is the WRX forum... but anyone know if the order is the same for the 2.5i?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggity View Post
    I know this is the WRX forum... but anyone know if the order is the same for the 2.5i?
    same- they use the same diagonal brake system

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'm getting my whole brake setup changed out here in the next month.. so I'll probably pick one of them up.
    Rebirth! I'm finishing a big rebuild/line replacement, and wish I'd have found this before I bought the HF pump. Only got half way before it started to rain. Was thinking it would be nice to be able to connect a liter bottle of fluid to the reservoir to start. Doooh.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have any suggestions on modifying the adapter? The adapter on mine is a pain to get on, and I chew up my master cylinder a little bit each time.

+1 on changing brake fluid colors each flush. That's huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    check w/ Motive, they may possible have a better adapter at this point- I can see photobucket did a wonderful job preserving all their photos when they moved to their new version- what a bunch of a$$ hats!

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the info.
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    check w/ Motive, they may possible have a better adapter at this point- I can see photobucket did a wonderful job preserving all their photos when they moved to their new version- what a bunch of a$$ hats!
    I doubt it honestly. I will check though - it'd be worth the cash. Otherwise, I have thought about just getting a spare 3 pronger and cutting it back a bit to have it resemble the stock master cylinder lid more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast