Replacing the A/C Belt

This is a discussion on Replacing the A/C Belt within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Does anyone have a tutorial on replacing the A/C belt?...

Replacing the A/C Belt

Does anyone have a tutorial on replacing the A/C belt?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this isn't how to replace your belt specifically, but this video goes over the process of how to do it, whilst installing a lightened crank pulley.

HSPN TV - HD Videos on Demand - Powered by HSPN Networks, LLC
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

Thumbs up

This is a great tutorial, Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    I just did it on a relatives car today. It's a pain, but takes just a few minutes.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

no problem glad I could help
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

I installed that Perrin Lightened Crank Pulley on my '08 WRX and couldn't get the A/C belt back on. I called the parts department at my dealership and they said that 2008 was the first year that Subaru removed the tensionor from the A/C belt. Instead, now they use a 1 time use belt that has to be cut in order to be removed. And you have to buy a new belt and use a special Subaru tool to install it.

Any ideas about how I can install my old belt?

I've noticed that the tensionor mounts are still on the engine block, any way I can get a 2007 (or any EJ25) A/C tensionor set and mount it on my engine?

My alternator belt is doing the excact same thing, the problem for me is that the tensioner bolt is missing completely. I can probably blame the commonwealth of PA for making me take my car to some dunce mechanic every year for a state inspection.

I bought a belt from my local subaru dealer for $16. It measures 35" around the outside and there is no way its fitting on my car (03 WRX). I was able to get it around all the pulleys by completely unbolting the alternator, but there was now way I could have bolted the alternator back up with the belt in place.

Does anyone know the thread for the tensioner bolt? Or will I be best off taking the other bolt off the car and measuring the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by rc_wizard24 View Post
    I installed that Perrin Lightened Crank Pulley on my '08 WRX and couldn't get the A/C belt back on. I called the parts department at my dealership and they said that 2008 was the first year that Subaru removed the tensionor from the A/C belt. Instead, now they use a 1 time use belt that has to be cut in order to be removed. And you have to buy a new belt and use a special Subaru tool to install it.

Any ideas about how I can install my old belt?

I've noticed that the tensionor mounts are still on the engine block, any way I can get a 2007 (or any EJ25) A/C tensionor set and mount it on my engine?
    Yep this is true. I sure was glad to see this post. I am a smart guy and could see no way to adjust the ac compressor to tighten the belt. There are 6 bolts holding the AC unit and brackets, none will let it pivot to install the new belt. I put on the alt/ps belt and went surfing for knowledge.
    Thanks again for the post.

My 2008 a/c belt has shredded one of the ribs. There is no way to adjust the belt.

What does the special tool look like?

I Dono

I never changed the belt . It is still on there @ 81k.
    I don't know what the tool looks like.
    I would try putting it like a bike chain and "roll" the pulleys over to do it.
    What about getting the belt warmer than the car engine to help the stretch factor.
    If not have the dealer put it on.
    Good Luck.
    Mustang Boy