need help!!!

This is a discussion on need help!!! within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Today i looked at my blow off valve, sure enough I found it wasn't sealing properly, took care of that, ...

Red face need help!!!

Today i looked at my blow off valve, sure enough I found it wasn't sealing properly, took care of that, without a proble. Upon further inspection I found that the intake piece (factory) that leads into the turbo hada tear where it clamps onto the turbo. Stupid me. thought this would be an easy process to remove and repair. But I am at a loss it looks as though I cannot remove this piece without taking the entire intake manifold off, is there an easier way to remove? Any help would be great, even if you laugh at my initial stupidity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You mean the turbo inlet?
    Turbo inlet install
    It's a bit of a character-building exercise... Good luck.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Smile thanks, I meant turbo inlet (lol)

Thanks, I need to re-use my old one so cutting the pieces off may not be a weapon for me to use, unless I can re-glue them on after the fact. I have another dumd question... How come the large bung has a hose about a foot long that is capped off, what is the point of this, why not cap it as close to the turbo inlet pipe as possible? Or is this just another mystery on my STI? Thanks for the speedy reply and the thread, I love the help on this forum.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit33 View Post
    Thanks, I need to re-use my old one so cutting the pieces off may not be a weapon for me to use, unless I can re-glue them on after the fact. I have another dumd question... How come the large bung has a hose about a foot long that is capped off, what is the point of this, why not cap it as close to the turbo inlet pipe as possible? Or is this just another mystery on my STI? Thanks for the speedy reply and the thread, I love the help on this forum.
    I can't begin to imagine why. Maybe the previous owner wanted to fool a smog inspector (but how much of a semi-pro can one hope to run across when getting smogged for this to work?!).

Search around here, nasioc, and scoobymods for turbo inlet installs and see if there's any way at all you can avoid removing the manifold. There's got to be; I just don't know it, sorry.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wink thanks again

Thanks again I'll search around. If i find an easier way i'll post for all future people who have the same headache.

got it done.

Like you said it was a character building experience! I re-used my old turbo inlet, with some modifications. It was harder to put it back in than it was to take it out. I did not have to remove the intake manifold at all. A way to save alot of hassle would be to cut all bungs and replace with brass fittings of equal size/shape, if you have to re-use the factory inlet. I will be replacing with a proper one as soon as possible. But this was an experience, thanks for the info. it helped me through it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad it worked out!
    SD

Talking just a thought

I was wondering one thing, well a bunch actually but I'll ask just one. Do you think that maybe, the capped off hose was intially part of the factory by pass valve? It was the large bung located closer to the turbo itself that was capped, any thoughts would help., If it helps I 'll post a pic. when I replace this inlet with a proper silicone one, give me a week or two, as my only free day is Sunday, I took the day off work today as I had no ride.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit33 View Post
    I was wondering one thing, well a bunch actually but I'll ask just one. Do you think that maybe, the capped off hose was intially part of the factory by pass valve?
    This is possible. I didn't initially realise what you meant, but then I remembered another two posts from a previous discussion -- I also didn't initially realise what they meant (this is a pattern for me...). Putting it all together though I see what everyone means. Look at post #8 and post #10 in this thread; DUB points out what you suspect:

P0172 help!!!!!

BTW the above thread has info on how to troubleshoot the intake system in general; that might help in the future too.

Also see the second page of this thread:
    Dhbamby's DIY VF 39 turbine swap
    for pictures of an inlet and potential connection problems.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-30-2008 at 10:36 AM.