P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality Check Malfunction

This is a discussion on P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality Check Malfunction within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I was idling in the my car yesterday while sending an email. It was for 5-10 min and my A/C ...

P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality Check Malfunction

I was idling in the my car yesterday while sending an email. It was for 5-10 min and my A/C was running. All of the sudden my CEL came on and then my temp gauge started climbing. Surprised, I drove off and once my rpm's went up for a few second the temp gauge went back to normal. About one mile down the road at a stop light, smoke started coming from my scoop. I pulled into the gas station and the smoke was coming from my turbo or maybe underneath. That freaked me out! However, P0483 is a Cooling Fan Rationality Check Malfunction. Can someone please tell me what this might mean.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

p0483 fan performance

i am having a similar problem with that code how do you fix it?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Is your fan turning on? If temps all of a sudden started climbing, it would stand to reason that the fan quit working. Might have burnt it out.

p0483 fan performance

sometimes the fans do come on and sometimes they dont thats what i cant understand or figure out.... even when the check engine light came on and i went to clear it with the key on the fans were running.... possibly the engine coolant temp sensor?? any insight would help, thanks

Question

also the temp gauge only goes up a little past 3/4 and its only when i come to a stop or get ready to park after driving for a while it wont go up when i drive down the street or on the highway probably because of enough cold air coming in?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike02WRX View Post
    also the temp gauge only goes up a little past 3/4 and its only when i come to a stop or get ready to park after driving for a while it wont go up when i drive down the street or on the highway probably because of enough cold air coming in?
    It sounds like the fans aren't working at full capacity at least. I don't know what the numbers should be as far as resistance through the wires when it's on and off, but if you can find that out, it would be a good way to test them to make sure they are still good.

And yeah, it would cool down when you're driving because you're getting plenty of flow through the radiator.

The problem is I cant figure out why the fans arent turning on when i come to a stop with the car running, if i shut the car off and turn the key to the ON position they come on? The gauge doesnt go up past normal all the time only after driving for a while when i go to park or come to a stop light for a few minutes or let it idle?

1 more thing when i turn the key on and the fans come on just one of them comes on, if your looking at the fans its the right one that comes on, is this normal?