Put new timing beltm but car wont start///
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Put new timing beltm but car wont start/// within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I just recently put a new timing belt. I aligned the sprockets just like in the sub. manual, but it ...

Put new timing beltm but car wont start///

I just recently put a new timing belt. I aligned the sprockets just like in the sub. manual, but it just seems as though its dead. When i turn the ignition on, the belt spings but nothing..
    Any idea what might this be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

did you reset the ecu?... just an idea...
    yup

Did you manually turn the engine over with the crank bolt? I would really do that prior to hitting the key. Sounds like your cam timing is off and the valves are against your pistons.

However, it could just be a dead battery. But usually after a timing belt and the engine wont turn over its not a good deal. I would definitely manually turn the engine over with the crank bolt. and check recheck triple and quadruple check your cam timing opposed to your crank position. Bad things happen when you are 180 out or 90 or 270 or anything truthfully.

Very... Bad

If i turn the crankshaft bolt manually and the timing belt spings. After a few turns the marks on the belt and the sprockets are not in place.
    I dont think this is normal

after a full rotation do they line back up?
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

DUB
    No offense, but have you ever done this before? Maybe you should have it towed to a mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by 06PearlWRX View Post
    after a full rotation do they line back up?
    They won't. It takes many full rotations of the engine to get the lines on the belt to line up w/ marks on the cams again. I've done two of these lately and that always throws me off. What is important is when the crank mark is at the top that the other cam marks are where they would be if you were installing the belt.

VW, it sounds good that you can rotate the engine manually w/o interference. Check the marks as I described above and make sure that your timing is still correct. This is the most likely problem. There is a very good thread w/ pics on this forum that I recently used to replace my belt, water pump, and thermostat.

Also think back to make sure that it isn't something silly that you unpluged or took apart like the spark plug wires. After I did mine my car started to over heat in stop and go traffic. I freaked out wondering what was wrong!

I forgot to plug in the radiator fans. Good luck, let us know what it was!

T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Quote Originally Posted by vwgolf02 View Post
    If i turn the crankshaft bolt manually and the timing belt spings. After a few turns the marks on the belt and the sprockets are not in place.
    I dont think this is normal
    I believe the springing is from the compression......

And to your defense there is always a first time for everything! Don't give up!!! When it comes to a t-belt/chain always double and triple check your marks as well as rotate the engine 1-2 full cycles (4 full revolutions per cycle). Recheck the tension on your belts an all alignments of your sprockets and crank pulley.

If you got it far enough that it is back together you are doing good. I would guess a loose plug or something very small that was forgotten as well.

resetting ECU

Do you think i need to really reset the ECU and if it needs to be done then how?
    I probably need a special computer to do that.

Do you think i need to really reset the ECU and if it needs to be done then how?
    I probably need a special computer to do that.
    Unhook the battery for a few min, some say tap the brakes, but there is not enough capacitors in your ecu for that. Its flash memory and after so many seconds of not having power the very small caps will lose their power and reset.

Did you crank it over manually? Please don't hit the key until you've confirmed that after 4-8 revolutions everything is aligned.

Ill try resetting, but just letting you know that my other two belts are not put on yet, i was told that you can turn your car on without the starter belt being on. So basically all i have is the timing belt on.

Maybe thats the problem, but to me is sounds like compression problem

I want to add that i have two problems i noticed.
    1. I dont know what to call it but the one in the picture, i was a little bent.
    2. some the the teeth are missing

I got the picture off
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASA.bmp  

I want to add that i have two problems i noticed.
    1. I dont know what to call it but the one in the picture, i was a little bent.
    2. some the the teeth are missing

I got the picture off
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement
    Crank position sensor? That could be the problem.... The car wont run and definitely wont run right without that. Is there any sign of damage on the oil pump or around the block?

Quote Originally Posted by JSarv View Post
    Crank position sensor? That could be the problem.... The car wont run and definitely wont run right without that. Is there any sign of damage on the oil pump or around the block?
    Is there any way to check it alone (sensor)?

Ill try resetting, but just letting you know that my other two belts are not put on yet, i was told that you can turn your car on without the starter belt being on. So basically all i have is the timing belt on.

Maybe thats the problem, but to me is sounds like compression problem

Wait, can you really start the car w/o the alternator belt on? I'm not so sure. The starter might run on the battery, but I don't think that the ignition does. A lack of spark would keep your car from starting for sure. Maybe you should try putting the car back together first.

BTW, there is no starter belt. Only timing, alternator, and A/C belts. Let us know how it goes!

T.J.
    Last edited by T.J.; 12-27-2007 at 01:44 AM.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.