Cylinder 3 Misfire @ 2800 mi?

This is a discussion on Cylinder 3 Misfire @ 2800 mi? within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Greetings all! As a new owner, I wanted to join a good forum and from what i've heard, this is ...

Cylinder 3 Misfire @ 2800 mi?

Greetings all!
    As a new owner, I wanted to join a good forum and from what i've heard, this is the place to be.
    Have a question regarding a misfire...
    In June, I purchased a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX (wagon). All was great. Ran easy for the first month or so to about a 1000 mile break-in period. Last week took the car in to the dealership for first scheduled service (oil change, inspection) at ~2800 mi. They recommended a synthetic/standard oil blend, I said go ahead. Oil change done, I drove home and parked the car. The next morning, I started it up, and there was the engine light lit solidly, with the cruise control light blinking. Called the dealership, they said bring it in. After they hooked it up, they found the following: P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire detected.
    They asked if I had changed brands/octane of gas. I've been using mobile 93 since i bought the car. They cleared the code, test drove it, and said the problem didn't return. Also told me to keep an eye on it.
    Question here is, is this something I should be concerned about? they said it could be anything from a loose gas cap, etc. Could just be paranoia but wanted to check in.

-Jaded

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any thoughts?

Mods, could you move to General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Tutorials Forum please?

I assume that you're still 100% stock. That's a strange one. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing.
    As for the motor oil. I've never heard of mixing synthetic and dyno motor oil before. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's a very good idea at all. Maybe I'm way off, but it sounds like trouble.

By the way, welcome to the Club!!!
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    2007's were having ECM issues and there is a TSB out there for a reflash from Subaru. Take it back and have them reflash it under warranty.

Loose gas cap will throw a code soo fast in a Subaru ITS REALLY SHOCKING.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds to me like a tech took it out for a spin and heated up the number 3 cylinder, causing the misfire. These are usually intermittant when they do occur, so no big deal. In the future though, I highly recommend that you put on the service order "NO TEST DRIVING ALLOWED". The rare times when I allow a dealer to touch my cars, I've done this as I don't trust techs with a car that is performance orinted....not one bit. (no slur intented to those techs that don't do this).

The reflash may have something to do with it also.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Guy's thanks for the replies.

psychobooe
    -yes, car is still 100% stock altho will be posting soon re intake, cobb, midpipe mods's that i'm looking at. specifically, dealer offering 'power pack' add on's...aside from the cobb that is.
    - re oil blend (synth/dyno mix) - not sure why this would cause a problem? they actually recommended the mix to me. i seriously hope they didn't do this just to get the extra $6 it cost. any additional input here?

06wrx4me
    -good to know. noob question though..."TSB" =?

YBNormal07
    - i will most definitely add that to any order in the future. i've been more generous with the throttle since I went over the break in period, and have had no issue. bumped it up against rev limiter 1 time in 3rd, still ok. don't plan on ever doing that again though.

-Jaded

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadedele View Post
    Guy's thanks for the replies.

psychobooe
    -yes, car is still 100% stock altho will be posting soon re intake, cobb, midpipe mods's that i'm looking at. specifically, dealer offering 'power pack' add on's...aside from the cobb that is.
    - re oil blend (synth/dyno mix) - not sure why this would cause a problem? they actually recommended the mix to me. i seriously hope they didn't do this just to get the extra $6 it cost. any additional input here?

06wrx4me
    -good to know. noob question though..."TSB" =?

YBNormal07
    - i will most definitely add that to any order in the future. i've been more generous with the throttle since I went over the break in period, and have had no issue. bumped it up against rev limiter 1 time in 3rd, still ok. don't plan on ever doing that again though.

-Jaded
    TSB= Tech Service Bulletin
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE