Subaru WRX Forum banner

Fuel pump cut-off switch (Security purpose)

17K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  WRXelent 
#1 ·
Hello family of clubWRX.

I was searching through the forums and couldn't find any related issues on this topic.

I was wondering if anyone has this security done. Installing a fuel cut-off switch from the fuel pump.

I've seen topics related to this on other forums, but it was actually for Hondas and Acuras.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can point me out instructions on how to install this cut off switch. Anyone have pictures explaining how it is done?

Thank you.

#3 ·
I don't think that you'll find anyone that is willing to tell you how to do it. This is because there is no specific way to do it. That's what makes it more secure as opposed to your off-the-shelf security. You'll have to have a good knowledge of car electronics as you don't want to be messing with your fuel pump if you don't know what you're doing.

Plus, no offense, but you just joined the boards and this is one of the first few posts that you start. With the rash of thefts lately, no one is likely to assist you as you could be anyone.

Calvin

#4 ·
Thank you cnk. I understand.. I figure it out. I was just wondering... the fuel pump wires ... Does it run on the left side (driver side)? or the passenger side?

Maybe i'll do this security system when I upgrade my fuel pump.

Thank you once again.

Dan.

#5 ·
i was thinking about installing one too but recently got AP so no need to install such thing, just load up the antitheft map and you're set.
On the other hand if you think about it, it's fairly easy to do it, just involves a lot of time to get to the pump. (removing back seat)

#6 ·
rallymaniac said:
i was thinking about installing one too but recently got AP so no need to install such thing, just load up the antitheft map and you're set.
On the other hand if you think about it, it's fairly easy to do it, just involves a lot of time to get to the pump. (removing back seat)
The only way that AP will work correctly in a security situation is for you to load the anti-theft map as your base map and then select a different map to run the car with. This ensures that if a thief disconnects the battery, which he will most likely do to disable the alarm at first, that the ECU reset will result in the anti-theft map being loaded and not a good working base map.

Also, you don't have to necessarily add your fuel pump cut off switch at the pump itself. There are many other places along the way that you can access that would make it more difficult for a thief to discover.

Calvin

#7 ·
WRX4eva said:
Thank you cnk. I understand.. I figure it out. I was just wondering... the fuel pump wires ... Does it run on the left side (driver side)? or the passenger side?

Maybe i'll do this security system when I upgrade my fuel pump.

Thank you once again.

Dan.
Fuel pump wires run down the passenger side of the car IIRC. You're best bet is to get yourself a copy of the Factory Service Manual on Wiring.

Calvin

#8 ·
cnk said:
The only way that AP will work correctly in a security situation is for you to load the anti-theft map as your base map and then select a different map to run the car with. This ensures that if a thief disconnects the battery, which he will most likely do to disable the alarm at first, that the ECU reset will result in the anti-theft map being loaded and not a good working base map.

Also, you don't have to necessarily add your fuel pump cut off switch at the pump itself. There are many other places along the way that you can access that would make it more difficult for a thief to discover.

Calvin
True, but you can upload the base AntiTheft anytime you know you'll be leaving car in a suspicious place.

#9 ·
rallymaniac said:
True, but you can upload the base AntiTheft anytime you know you'll be leaving car in a suspicious place.
I think you're missing my point. You can't just upload the anti-theft map when you're going to leave the car. When you first connect the AP to your ECU and you are asked to load a map onto the car that acts as it's base map. This is the true base map, i.e. the map that the ECU reverts to if you reset the ECU or disconnect the battery. Switching to the anti-theft map with the AP will not give you the protection that you want. This also means that you'll have to carry the AP with you everywhere you go and not leave it in the car as well.

In addition, if someone really wants your car, they will find a way to get it. Either by flatbedding the car or by bringing their own ECU to swap out with your's. They've been stealing Honda/Acura's like that for a while now to bypass the Immobilizer.

Calvin

#10 ·
thank you very much guys....

I just want to create an additional obstacle for those miserable thiefs. If the want to steal my car, they will steal it anyways. (Tow) :rolleyes:

My brother's Civic Si (2000) was stolen last month ~!!!!!! :unhappy: (Bastards ~~ Oooops)

Dan.

#13 ·
Since we are talking about security..... Besides the map and alarm systems, what would you guys recommend me to do?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Dan.

#14 ·
rallymaniac said:
you're right if they want to take it, they'll take it.
But you can switch base maps too, and load antiTheft as a base.
That's what I mean though. It can become annoying to have to carry the AP with you everywhere you go. Plus, if you're really in a bad area, you don't want to be sitting in the car reloading a map. There's also the danger of leaving the anti-theft map loaded as the base map because if there is any type of electrical problem while you're driving, the car would just shut off. This is a remote possibility, but it still does exist. This was a very long discussion on nasioc a while back.

Calvin

#15 ·
WRX4eva said:
Since we are talking about security..... Besides the map and alarm systems, what would you guys recommend me to do?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Dan.
The recommendation is to layer your security. The more a thief has to deal with, the less chance they will want to attempt to steal it. Don't leave visible items in the car that would attract attention. Even though the club and auto-lock are easily defeated, they still present another item that the theif must defeat and it adds time. Time is the thief's enemy. If you install an alarm, add more sirens to it such as mini pieze sirens insdie the cabin. They generate a very painful high-pitch tone that is deafening, especially inside the cabin. Make sure you get a backup battery for the alarm as the main battery is usually unplugged first.

Calvin

#16 ·
if you remove the relay to the fuel pump. the ecu does not get any power. took me and my friend 2 hours to figure out why the ecu wasnt powering up. i might try and put a kill switch on there

#17 ·
cnk said:
That's what I mean though. It can become annoying to have to carry the AP with you everywhere you go. Plus, if you're really in a bad area, you don't want to be sitting in the car reloading a map. There's also the danger of leaving the anti-theft map loaded as the base map because if there is any type of electrical problem while you're driving, the car would just shut off. This is a remote possibility, but it still does exist. This was a very long discussion on nasioc a while back.

Calvin
so just to sum it up, the AP antitheft real time map is pretty much useless :sadwave:

#18 ·
rallymaniac said:
so just to sum it up, the AP antitheft real time map is pretty much useless :sadwave:
Yes and No. For the amateur thief, it will probably be pretty effective, but I wouldn't rely solely upon it alone. As I stated above, your best bet is still a layered approach. To be honest, the only thing that has been proven to work in WRX Theft central (NJ) is a hidden fuel cut. However, there have still been cases where the thieves used another car to push the target car away from the scene so that they could work on it in a different location.

Calvin

#21 · (Edited)
After Researching.....

I did some research guys.... it's very simple. Since the fuel pump runs through the right side (passenger side), just add a relay, wires (12v) and a switch somewhere in between the fuel pump. You pretty much have to hire the switch or maybe add a factory switch (ON, OFF) somewhere in the dashboard, or under the seat etc. That is all to it~!!

Imagine this:

(battery)
somewhere​
discrete​
(switch)​
(fuse box/ relays/Power 12v)
.​
.​
.​
.​
.​
.​
driver side..................<<<.......<<<.......<<<.........<<<<...//(relay/ 12v Wires)​
fuel pump​
I apoligize if the diagram is so not professional, but I was bored :rotfl:

I think by adding a switch like this (IMHO) will delay these suckers, might even prevent them from taking your car. :wiggles:

Let me know what you guys think

Once again I apoligize for the grammar and the ugly diagram.
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.