Fuel filter install/change 02/03 WRX (pics)

This is a discussion on Fuel filter install/change 02/03 WRX (pics) within the Maintenance, service, and repair forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; ok well i changed my fuel filter the other day and took pics for those who wish to do this, ...

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar

Fuel filter install/change 02/03 WRX (pics)

ok well i changed my fuel filter the other day and took pics for those who wish to do this, it is a pretty easy remove and replace job....first thing..make sure your key is out of the ignition and that the gas cap is off to release any pressure...let's get started

first locate the filter, on an 02-03 WRX it is under the hood next to the window wash tank, near the firewall, you will see an IN hose and an OUT hose, on them there are you guessed it HOSE CLAMPS, takes a small phillips drive and take those off, next use a small flathead to separate the hose and the hard line in n out lines, be very careful not to damage the rubber fuel lines, remember the in hose comes from the firewall, the new filter should be labeled in n out also to avoid confusion
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ff01.JPG   ff02.JPG   ff03.JPG   ff04.JPG   ff05.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar

con't of filter

on the fourth pic above i tried to show you the metal clamp that holds the filter in place, unsecure it after you get the hoses off. by now you should have the old hoses off, unsecure that clamp and remove the old fuel filter...watch your paint, there is fuel inside, putting a towel the fender is a good idea, now take a sip of the lemonade from the obligatory girl watching you do this...lol... make sure the old and new filter look the same, remove the rubber sleeve from the old filter and put it on the new one now put the new filter in place and resecure the metal clamp, now a lil trick, take your oil dipstick and place a drop or two of oil on the new filter stems where the hoses go....they'll slide right in and works better than spit
    now tighten up the clamps and make sure other hoses and suchness are in place, resecure your gas cap....3 clicks and start the engine, it won't start on the first try because the lines and filter have to be primed so start it again and after it starts look closely to make sure your lines are'nt leaking and double check your work, rev it up a few times to ensure no leaks and you are all set, I hope this helps some of you. PM me with any questions regarding this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ff06.JPG   ff07.JPG   ff08.JPG   ff09.JPG   ff10.JPG  

good write up
    she was like "ahhhh you're nailing me!..cool."

My cousin did this in my driveway the other day on his '03 outback. The fuel system was still pressurized, and he got hosed in the face with gasoline, and managed to spray gas everywhere. I started laughing sooooo hard, then I realized he just sprayed him self in the face with gas, and i helped him rinse his eyes out....
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

Loller copter.. good one!
    she was like "ahhhh you're nailing me!..cool."

So what about relieving the fuel pressure? Another write up I saw talks about disconnecting the fuel pump relay and disconnecting it, then running the car until it dies. Is this necessary in anyone's experiences, or can I just do it the waythis write up talks about? Thanks.

one small prob i noticed......next time use a cleaner screwdriver !!!!!
    other than that nice writeup

is there a difference for an 05 WRX? cuz that fuel filter is no where to be found in my engine compartment, theres something smaller instead but it looks nothing like the picture

Quote Originally Posted by Mr70StAnG302 View Post
    is there a difference for an 05 WRX? cuz that fuel filter is no where to be found in my engine compartment, theres something smaller instead but it looks nothing like the picture
    Subaru moved the filter in the fuel tank.

Stg 2 06STI
    02/04 WRX MSPT Tuned - 18g(DEAD)

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"-Vizzini