ipod car charger problem

This is a discussion on ipod car charger problem within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a new head unit a week ago, a JVC KW-XC777, double din and with an aux in, so ...

ipod car charger problem

I bought a new head unit a week ago, a JVC KW-XC777, double din and with an aux in, so I could hook up my IPOD.It works super!

Now I needed something to keep the life in my IPOD during roadtrips, so I bought a "belkin auto kit for IPOD" which basically is a charger with a built in amp. Really cool, but about 10 seconds after plugging it in in my cigarette lighter outlet it starts to click, as in click on, click off and that translates in sound, no sound, sound, no sound... needless to say, really annoing!
    At first I though I bought a damaged charger, so I tried it out in my wifes Toyota matrix, NO PROBLEMS!!!

Also, when I just put the charger in, immediately the stereo has a lot more static... And the whole reason for me buying a new charger was because I thought that my old one was broken, because that had the same problem (note: also works great in the matrix...)

So now I'm thinking there's something wrong with my car's 12V output? It's a 2005 wrx wagon with 1300 Miles on it, so I don't expect the alternator to be broken...

I did install a grounding kit recently, but I thought that was supposed to help for these kind of things...

Help!!! Anyone??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

12v power port

First, test the power port with a cellphone charger or some other device that plugs into the cigarette lighter port. If it seems to provide a solid 12v ... the next thing to do is close the ground loop that exists between the radio wiring and the power port. (trust me, it exists) You do this by making the ground for both devices common, meaning tie them together and then re-ground to frame metal. This should clear up electrical whine or static as well as solidify the electrical circuit between your iPod when on the charger, and your line-in. The Belkin unit that you got is the one with the line-out port on the side of the 12v plug, and it goes to an iPod dock connector, I assume? Feel free to reply or email me.

audioboy@mac.com

12v installer and Macintosh/iPod user - Apple Certified Technical Consultant
    McIntosh certified 110v and 12v
    Kicker certified
    Alpine certified
    Sony Mobile ES certified

02 WRX Sedan - $10,000 in audio system including iPod photo 40gig.